Strong Signal, But no internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sunkentheory, May 7, 2008.

1. sunkentheory macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I need help!

Just randomly (well probably something I did, but I cant think of anything), my internet won't work. I have tried everything, restarting the router/modem, plugging in the ethernet. Neither the wireless or ethernet port will work. It says it is connected when I join a wireless signal, but when I pull up safari or firefox, it says I am not connected to the internet.

I am getting a real ip also. So I have no idea what is going on.

13" Macbook 2.16 GHz, 2GB memory, Superdrive. Running Leopard with a netgear router.

All other computers in my household run fine on the router/modem.

Brian

2. Karstan macrumors member

run network diagnosis on safari...sometimes it just needs to reboot itself.

3. sunkentheory thread starter macrumors newbie

tried that. it keeps telling me to restart my modem/router, which i have done 100 times.

also, I am running leopard and have a netgear router. All other computers in my house connect with no problem.

4. Karstan macrumors member

you don't have your firewire connected do you? if not, then i really don't know! sorry...i have had this problem too and i just restarted everything and it all seemed to work, but it sounds like you have already done that tho...:confused:

5. sunkentheory thread starter macrumors newbie

nope, not a firewire issue. I brought it into this apple service place by me, because its still under warranty, but they are saying its "software" and want to reformat the whole thing....and want to charge $100/hour for an estimated 3 hours. Not to mention they wanted to charge me $60 just for looking at it.

Anyways, any other ideas guys?

Thanks for all the help so far!

6. sunkentheory thread starter macrumors newbie

you guys think reformatting would be a good option?

7. Limonade3 macrumors newbie

this happened to me the other day...macbook would show strong connection but wouldn't actually have a connection. Meanwhile, all my other computers on the network were able to access the internet.

I checked the apple support documents and found something about a recent keychain update causing problems with airport...

It suggested rebooting in safe mode, and the booting up in regular mode again.

It worked for me.

As it was booting up, i called tech support. Suffice it to say that they were useless...the guy told me "the best software guy in the world wouldn't be able to tell you why it dropped the connection...these things just happen, and they can happen at any time..."

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Are you using a static IP on your Mac or DHCP? If using a static IP, you DNS entries may have changed on your ISP. Look at the status page on your router and compare that to your Mac Network settings.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I doubt it, worst case an Archive and Install will sort this.