Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thephantompain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
Do you have any recommendations for a Car Mount and a Case? The iPhone 13 Pro Max is quite heavy (heavier than last year's). I dread to put it on the car mount and have it drop during the slightest bump or curve.

I'm looking at the Spigen 13 Mag Armor, because it looks sleek as hell, but I read that the magnets for that case is very weak. :(

rjalex

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
I am VERY interested in your query too. I live in Rome where we have more bumps and potholes than flat surfaces :)

Also would be interested in undressing which power source would be recommended from the cigarette lighter socket to get a good/fast charge.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Do you have any recommendations for a Car Mount and a Case? The iPhone 13 Pro Max is quite heavy (heavier than last year's). I dread to put it on the car mount and have it drop during the slightest bump or curve.

I'm looking at the Spigen 13 Mag Armor, because it looks sleek as hell, but I read that the magnets for that case is very weak. :(
I currently have the Spigen OneTap Pro Vent Car mount with magsafe

and it holds my caseless 13 Pro Max pretty well. I’ve shaken it very hard (like off-roading/earthquake hard) and the phone didn’t fall off.

Attaching a magsafe case (like the official silicon apple one) would add additional grip and strength.

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021

The extra weight is not noticeable and makes no difference to my MagSafe car mount, my 12 max v 13 max.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Thanks @JamesMcFlyJR , what you write also implies that the mount itself grips the vent in a dependable way, right?
yes. it slides into the car vent (and at this point it’s already pretty sturdy) and then you have the additional option of clamping it down.

83495FDC-5C23-426E-B386-8DAB1799CC8E.jpeg

here’s the clamping down mechanism i’m taking about (you twist it to clamp it down). very sturdy

there’s also a dashboard/windshield version if you prefer that.

jamdex

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2012
Manchester UK
I currently have the Spigen OneTap Pro Vent Car mount with magsafe

and it holds my caseless 13 Pro Max pretty well. I’ve shaken it very hard (like off-roading/earthquake hard) and the phone didn’t fall off.

Attaching a magsafe case (like the official silicon apple one) would add additional grip and strength.
This, i have the same and same phone too and it hasnt fallen off yet. Using an Apple silicone case

Reactions: rjalex

elephantstone

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2016

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I got this case by Pitaka. The magnetic is so strong I can leave it on the fridge with my 13 PM in it. Now that's with the camera on the edge as it'll lift the case off the fridge too much. I use with the Apple's magsafe charger and a mount and car charger from Amazon.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
ProClip is great, I have this one installed in my car but you can enter your car to find a specific mount that would fit yours on the website.

I bought a magnetic mount that I glued on top of the ProClip, ProClip sells phone holders too though. Will have to replace the magnetic mount for the iPhone 13 but this setup has been rock solid for me for years.

vw-passat-mount.jpg

vw-passat-mount-2.jpg

Last edited:

thephantompain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
yes. it slides into the car vent (and at this point it’s already pretty sturdy) and then you have the additional option of clamping it down.

View attachment 1852790

here’s the clamping down mechanism i’m taking about (you twist it to clamp it down). very sturdy

there’s also a dashboard/windshield version if you prefer that.
Thanks for the tip! Leaning towards this, because I've been using a similar product prior to my current phone. I was using the Spigen Kuel which never failed me in the past, but when I tried putting my 13 Pro Max, I could definitely tell the magnet isn't as strong - perhaps this is because I'm not using a MagSafe case (only a thin/slim-fit case)?

Is the Spigen one-tap pro 'bigger' than the Kuel that's probably why it has improved magnetic strength?

Here's the link to the one I have now:

rjalex

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
13 max pro just arrived along with the Spigen OneTap Pro Wireless Car Charger for Magsafe and a clear Spigen Liquid Crystal cover.

The magnetic grip of the OneTap is way to weak for the 13 Pro Max with the clear Spigen case. It tends to slip away just holding it at home. Would never survive my town's bumpy roads.

Guess the alternative is to either return it and find something stronger or try it naked (me shudders).

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014
I’m using the ProClip

iPhone Holder with Bottom Support for MagSafe Charger​

ProClip mount
Item number 216177.
It holds pretty good so far with my Otterbox Defender Pro XT with MagSafe Case for the Pro Max 13.
I’ll experiment some today and post my results, as I just installed it on Saturday.

The best part is that it has adjustable feet to assist in holding your phone. It does require that you have your own Apple MagSafe puck though as it clips into the mount.

So $50 for the mount and $34 for the Apple puck, but worth it to me though.
ProClip 216177.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TypeMRT and rjalex

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I bought the Satechi magsafe wireless car charger. I had these same concerns before it arrived. However, after installing and using all weekend, I don't have any issues. Holds my 13 Pro Max without issue and never budged over some potholes and rough roads.

I will be adding a bracket to my dash so it does NOT mount to the vent. Not sure who ever though that was a good idea, especially during winter??? All that hot air blowing on it. No thanks. This will move it off the vent and centered on my dash. Better to see, and access when needed.

NewMagsafe

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Multi-threaded MagSafe mount by moment, it’s very strong bond/hold.
I use it with a threaded ball by ram mounts, with one of their arms which has another ball that screws into the factory holes in the dash of my Suzuki Jimny.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Thank you all for your input. I think that for consistency we should all always specify if the holding power is relative to a naked 13 Pro max or with which case we're using it with.

Just as an example, a few posts back I said that the Spigen OneTap Pro wireless car charger for magsafe would not hold enough, but I just tried taking the thin spine clear silicon case away and naked it does hold VERY well.

I am surprised how much the magnet force decreased with just that tiny thickness of the case !!

Lustral

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
Using a Spigen OneTap vent mount without the swing arm non charging version. iPhone 13 Pro using an Apple Leather Case.

Mounted into a Mk7 Golf centre vent closest to the driver. From my initial tests it seems to hold it well and didn’t fall off on my brief test.

I would prefer something that sits closer to the vent as it seems to stick out a bit more than I like.

For £25 is a bit expensive for a non charging version.

0D8D2412-9B32-4908-B365-BB887ECC5392.jpeg

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Using a Spigen OneTap vent mount without the swing arm non charging version. iPhone 13 Pro using an Apple Leather Case.

Mounted into a Mk7 Golf centre vent closest to the driver. From my initial tests it seems to hold it well and didn’t fall off on my brief test.

I would prefer something that sits closer to the vent as it seems to stick out a bit more than I like.

For £25 is a bit expensive for a non charging version.

View attachment 1857022

I was thinking of getting this - any pics from the side to show how much it sticks out?
Thanks!

rjalex

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Right is right my friend :D
And black is black, I want my baby back :)
While I do understand the value of driving on the wrong side ;) I guess you'll all be operating the smartphone with your LEFT hand, right? That would be a nightmare for me and a boon for wifey :)
(END of thread hijack promise)
God save our gracious queen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.