Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
So, as the title says, I've been thinking about getting a ThinkPad T480, specifically one with an 8th Gen Intel CPU. I currently daily drive a 2012 MBP and while I love it, using a Mac keyboard and one button mouse feels awkward on Windows. I initially installed Windows 10 on here for specific games, but then I ended up using it full time when I had troubles with running the OCLP-patched version of Sonoma. The ThinkPad T480 caught my eye because it has upgradeable memory and storage, like the 2012 MBP, but it can run Windows 11 without any hacking (as long as it has the 8th Gen CPU) and is supposed to have really good Linux compatibility. I also heard it has an amazing keyboard, which is a big deal to me after experiencing the terrible IdeaPad 110-15ISK that was my daily driver prior to getting the 2012 MBP. My plan would be to get the ThinkPad, run Windows and Linux on it, and have the 2012 MBP be macOS only again. Should I get the ThinkPad or should I save money and stick to using Windows on my MBP?

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
If you really like Windows, you'll probably be better off just getting the ThinkPad and running Windows on newer hardware, with the option of dual-booting Linux on it. I can't imagine running Windows 10 on a 12-year-old Mac laptop is a particularly pleasant experience in 2024. 😅

Reactions: Cape Dave

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
If you really like Windows, you'll probably be better off just getting the ThinkPad and running Windows on newer hardware, with the option of dual-booting Linux on it. I can't imagine running Windows 10 on a 12-year-old Mac laptop is a particularly pleasant experience in 2024. 😅
I wouldn't say I love Windows, not modern Windows anyway, more like I'm kind of stuck with it because you can't upgrade the storage or RAM on modern Macs and trying to run modern macOS on older upgradeable Macs leads to unpredictable results. Windows 10 runs really nice on here, it's just awkward using the right side of the touchpad to do right click functions and the mac keyboard layout throws me off when doing Windows keyboard shortcuts.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So, as the title says, I've been thinking about getting a ThinkPad T480, specifically one with an 8th Gen Intel CPU. I currently daily drive a 2012 MBP and while I love it, using a Mac keyboard and one button mouse feels awkward on Windows. I initially installed Windows 10 on here for specific games, but then I ended up using it full time when I had troubles with running the OCLP-patched version of Sonoma. The ThinkPad T480 caught my eye because it has upgradeable memory and storage, like the 2012 MBP, but it can run Windows 11 without any hacking (as long as it has the 8th Gen CPU) and is supposed to have really good Linux compatibility. I also heard it has an amazing keyboard, which is a big deal to me after experiencing the terrible IdeaPad 110-15ISK that was my daily driver prior to getting the 2012 MBP. My plan would be to get the ThinkPad, run Windows and Linux on it, and have the 2012 MBP be macOS only again. Should I get the ThinkPad or should I save money and stick to using Windows on my MBP?
Do yourself a favor and get some new batteries for it as well.

I have a small pile of these laying around at work. Not a bad computer at all. Can I ask why the 480 and not the updated 490 series? That one at least has the usb c charging port.

Fun fact, if you lose the rectangular charger, you can actually use the weird USB C connector in its place.

Reactions: bousozoku

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
The T480's are rock solid machines, we used thousands of them in an enterprise setting. They arent great gaming machines obviously, but the keyboards and trackpads are well made. Battery life was fairly poor, but the batteries should be removable and swappable over time. They are very modular and take upgrades well. If you are finding one of these fairly cheap on the used market it would be a fun machine to play around with.

Also, I agree with the above commentor. Any of the models with USB-C charging rather than their proprietary one are ideal. If the 490 is where that started, worth considering.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
Can I ask why the 480 and not the updated 490 series? That one at least has the usb c charging port.
I've never heard anyone talk about the 490, so I didn't know much about it. The 480 seems to have a lot more buzz surrounding it.

The T480's are rock solid machines, we used thousands of them in an enterprise setting. They arent great gaming machines obviously, but the keyboards and trackpads are well made. Battery life was fairly poor, but the batteries should be removable and swappable over time. They are very modular and take upgrades well. If you are finding one of these fairly cheap on the used market it would be a fun machine to play around with.

Also, I agree with the above commentor. Any of the models with USB-C charging rather than their proprietary one are ideal. If the 490 is where that started, worth considering.
Yes, these are pretty cheap on the used market, around $200. I've been following some listings on Mercari and eBay and about a few hours after I posted this thread, one of the sellers made me an offer for their T480S. After reading the responses here and researching the differences between the 480, 480S, and the 490, I decided to accept the offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.