STRONGLY recommend against using the Otterbox Commuter for 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Love Divine, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Love Divine macrumors member

A warning to those considering using case: It's extremely difficult to remove, to the point I was very concerned about damaging my phone.

I bought one and tried it on. Added too much bulk and weight, not to mention looked horrendous compared to the beautiful design of the iPhone. Decided the protection wasn't worth sacrificing that, so I tried to take it off. HUGE pain.

What followed was a literally 30 minute ordeal with the help of several people. My phone is just over two weeks old, and I'm very, very careful with it. It made me sick putting it through that. We had to slide the top 1/4th off - both the first and second layer concurrently, then slide the phone out with the help of three people - one prying the top off, me pulling the phone out, and one prying the bottom of the case downward. I had to exert a considerable amount of force. The case is extremely difficult to remove - you have been warned.

2. ravage73 macrumors newbie

thanks for the warning. there are better case options out there anyway.

3. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

Are you sure you're not talking about the Symmetry case and not the Commuter?

The Commuter is a two piece case which is easy to get on and off whereas the Symmetry case is one piece and is a pain to get on and off.

4. Love Divine thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely talking about the Commuter. The hard piece was extraordinarily tight and the case was extremely difficult to remove.

5. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

I havent had a commuter in a while (on a 4S), but doesnt the hard PC back come off and leaves the soft silicon case?

Are the 2 pieces joined together now?

6. AE14 macrumors 65816

I currently have this on my phone without any issue at all. It comes off without concern although it is more difficult that commuters in the past to put on.

7. Eric5964 macrumors regular

Eric5964

Sounds like you need to work on the removal technique.....

EricE

8. shamashu macrumors regular

Can you post a picture with a case on? And shot while trying to remove it. Maybe this time it is slightly loose.