Struggling between QNAP TS-219P II vs Synology DS213

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hidehide, Oct 16, 2012.

1. hidehide, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

hidehide macrumors 6502

My main requirement of the NAS is as follow:
    1. Being able to stream HD videos/audios to my mac, iPad either from inside or outside of my home network.
    2. Mac and iPhone user friendly
    3. Time machine
    4. SSL VPN
    5. Download torrent occasionally

I think both can achieve point 2-5.

However, my main concern is about the first point. I know that the Synology can transcode the media file before streaming to the devices, thus the devices can play the video no matter what format it is in.
    Can QNAP do that? Or what QNAP does is transfer the files to the devices and the devices does its own transcoding?

Thanks in advance!

2. socaljason, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

socaljason macrumors newbie

Hi hidehide,
    QNAP just released firmware 3.8.0 public beta in their forum (http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=65219).
    It includes Video Station from the QPKG Center. Video Station can perform offline transcoding of many video formats (the following format can be transcoded: *.ts; *.wmv; *.avi; *.divx; *.3gp; *.mov; *.mpeg; *.mpg; *.xvid; *.flv; *.asf; *.rm; *.dat; *.mp4; *.jpg). It will convert them into .FLV files for playback via other devices. For the conversion, you can select standard definition (480P or smaller) or high definition (720P, 1080P), depending on your original video quality.