Struggling here....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lionmanpt, Oct 30, 2012.

1. lionmanpt macrumors regular

I am an Apple user since 1989.Always had Apple products, but decided to sell a couple of months ago my MBP.

I am looking at the base RMP 13'' (because that is my price limit) and I honestly cannot find a single reason to justify the purchase other than an emotional one.

I would love to buy one of these machines but when I see a Dual Core I5, 8GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD , no graphics card and then I see a Windows 8 Quad Core i7, 16 GB RAM , 1 TB HDD , NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT 650M with 4GB, Full HD Led Display and Blue Ray drive I just keep going "back and forwatd".

You know, although the Windows 8 machine is far more "atractive" ( and costs less 600 USD than the 13'' RMBP), the love for Apple just makes it "tough" to switch.

Don't know what to do (I do not like the MBA screen, don't ask me why.I simply think it is doesn't meet my expectations).........................

2. Maczor macrumors regular

If you can't justify the purchase to yourself, then get something else...
    Not sure what you're expecting to hear here... are you waiting for us to justify your purchase?

We can't... Get a MBA or cMBP or something else if rMBP doesn't make sense.

3. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

The Air is a very nice computer. The screen estate is great, the light weight, performance etc. It's a wonderful computer but I had one before and I felt the need to get something "new".

So I ordered the rMBP yesterday and it was a purely emotional decision. For that money I could've easily gotten the 15" and it would have been way more bang for the buck. I'd recommend to get that.

But I personally hate the 15" form factor. I did that one time already, getting 15" because of the higher performance, instead of a 13". And I regretted it for the whole two and a half years I've used it and immediately switched to the very weak 2008's MacBook Air once they were announced.

I know I've made a bad deal and even when I think about it now, I can't justify purchasing the 13" rMBP. Looking at the facts, no one should buy it. But I wanted it. And that's all the reason I need ;)

4. lionmanpt thread starter macrumors regular

I was just explaining my issues due to the fact of beeing a long time user of Apple and that the purchase of an 13'' RMBP seems a buying more from the "heart" than from the "head" (I am not judging which one is a better choice...)

Is it my impression or people are getting more and more impatient with others ?

----------

Thanks for your very honest answer ! I am just feeling like you: would love to buy the RMBP , but..........jesus the price is very high for the specs..........

5. ssn637 macrumors 6502

The base 13" rMBP cannot be an option for anyone running a Windows Boot Camp partition, where 256 GB of hard drive space is the minimum requirement. That raises the base price to $2000, which is only $200 less than the base 15" rMBP, with its quad-core i7 CPU, dedicated 650M graphics card and larger display. No one can justify their purchase of a 13" rMBP based on price. And next spring with the arrival of Haswell (with its doubling of integrated GPU power) their resale value will plummet.

Those of us who waited patiently for the 13" rMBP's release are struggling as much as you are. I'm seriously considering the 15" model, which weighs no more than my current 13" MBP but offers so much more. The dedicated graphics and quad-core processor will help keep the 15" rMBP "future-proof" for the next couple of generations (assuming IR is no longer an issue).

6. Maczor, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

Maczor macrumors regular

Nah, it has nothing to do with being impatient... but with being fed up complains that device X doesn't meet the requirements of user Y because it costs too much, it flexes too much, it's too thin, it's too silver, it's too whatever...

I totally understand that not every device fits the needs of everyone, but why run around complaining? Since you have clearly identified alternatives that are not just cheaper ( or at least around the same price ) but more powerful ( fitting your possible needs even better ), then why no just pick up one and be happy? Why must one always first complain?

We can't take the decision for you ( or we could, but it would be quite silly if you'd actually listen and go on someone else's hand just because "he said so" )... even if you've been using Apple products for a long time, there is no one stopping you from making a switch. If you REALLY, REALLY can't justify buying a 13" rMBP, then DON'T !!! Get yourself a cMBP or MBA ( as I have already mentioned ), or just get one of those Windows 8 machines...

Sorry if I come out too offensive, but such threads are pointless...

You're being completely silly... since when is 256GB HDD / SSD the "minimum" requirement for running Windows under Bootcamp? You can run it without any prob on the base 13" rMBP... the only trade-off: you need to start storing your p0rn somewhere else. ;)

Seriously now, don't be silly... 128GB is enough if one doesn't expect to install a crap-load of software or store a crap-load of movies / music / etc. on it. If you know you are the kind of user who DOES like to install and store a bunch of stuff he most likely never uses ( or extremely rarely ), then I agree that in YOUR case, 128GB will most likely not be enough.

PS: Also, one can always buy an external HDD and use that to store the "heavy stuff" on.

7. iScreamSanWitch, Oct 30, 2012

iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

Another also.. they created a smaller SD card so it sits flush inside the mac retina.. current pricing is ~$89 for 64 gb Micro SD card which goes into the minidrive casing.. might help some people with the decision here..

Link.. http://theniftyminidrive.com/

8. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

This is exactly the problem with Apple's pricing on this notebook. They hobbled it by being defensive with their pricing strategy instead of bringing the rMBP-13 in at $1499 (or giving it more memory & bigger flash drive) and lowering the price on the cMBP & MBA.

Just wait a few more months and pick up a base rMBP-15 for the same $1699 on CL.

9. Maczor macrumors regular

That too! ( completely forgot about those... was following their progress for weeks before ) Those SD cards look great and are definitely be a nice alternative ( or additional option... SD card + external HDD + who knows what else... ).

10. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I just ordered a base 13" rMBP for in-store pickup. EPP discount made it a bit more palatable. :)

I can see how it's an emotional decision though..... the windows 8 laptop will lure you with its awesome-sounding specs, and then you'll experience the emotions of bewilderment and frustration as you desperately search for a way to install Windows 7 on it and spend your days sobbing in the darkest corner of your room, screaming uselessly at a universe that refuses to listen.

11. Irock619, Oct 30, 2012

Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Do really need retina? That should be your first question. If not then stay classy with a refurb hi res MBP.

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You have posted this topic multiple times already. If you can't afford the rMBP, then simply don't get it.

Don't let your emotions get in the way with buying a new computer. You need to think of what you're using it for first. And personally, unless you're actually going to recoup the cost of it, by actually doing the "pro" work that is the main point of the machine, I don't think you really need it.

13. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Jessica, I see you're still rocking the PowerMac G5! Nice to see another soul who just can't let theirs go. I fired it up a couple of weeks ago to get it ready to be listed for sale in an Apple housecleaning that we're doing, but its been difficult to get motivated to sell. It still runs great after all these years. My son literally cried when I told him I was planning to sell it, even though I just upgraded the kids to our 3year old iMac.

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I generally agree. What puts me off the 15" rMBP is the lack of ethernet and optical drive (required for where I do most of my work, and I refuse to use a dongle - that's absurd) and the lack of upgradability. Pricing is secondary, since it's a tax write-off.

I'll wait for the second generation and see what they offer - and hope that they fix the IR problems and reduce the price.

15. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Optical drive and ethernet are gone for good.

16. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

ah, I remember those days of Windows software and hardware hell like it was yesterday :) Chasing spec's, putting up with crap displays, horrible keyboards, trackpads ETC and years later Windows and PC makers still can't get it right ... even with years of Apple's prototypes to copy from ... they just don't get it or care about end user experience enough.

To me, not going through that hell makes buying a 13" rMBP or any other Mac a pretty fair deal. Yea, it costs more but there's a reason and benefit for the extra money spent.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Buy one, don't tell anybody. Keep the sobbing at home.

18. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Oh, I'm sure you're correct. Which is fine - it keeps me on my current laptop for a while, until I buy either the next generation cMBP if there is one, or a current generation cMBP if not.

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The 13 rMBP is a ripoff, no matter how one might try to justify it.

Windows hell.... times have changed, a lot!!! the jury is out on windows 8 as its early days, but windows 7 rates up with the best os x releases, which for me was snow leopard.

For myself, I was really excited about the 13 rMBP, was hoping for a machine based on the old 12" Powerbooks, so a smaller 15" spec rMBP. What they gave us is a total ripoff, nice eye candy with nothing under the hood. Going to get the 15.