Struggling to decide what to buy

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Moccasin, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I've been on the fence now for a while in terms of buying an iMac. My 11" MBA is full and not suitable for the photographic stuff I want to do.

I'm thinking that a 21" iMac with 1TB fusion and 16GB RAM is the machine I want but am just a little nervous about the possibility of an improved Mac Mini and new display arriving as I just feel that is a bit more flexible than an iMac in upgrade terms - both upgrading the machine itself or upgrading to a new machine in the future. Sadly, my MBA is the 2010 model so there's no real benefit in starting with a TB display and taking an iterative upgrade path, which I have previously considered (TB display first with some external storage and then buy a Mac Mini later).

Also I'm wondering if the 2013 model might start arriving in the refurb store soon? After what sort of period do refurbs start showing up? The original plan was to wait until the interest free offer returns to the UK Apple stores but it seems to be late in happening and in any case, I don't think you can use financing in the refurb store.

I have discounted the idea of a Mac Pro (nice as it would be) and am wedded to the idea of a desktop solution. The MBA will then serve as a machine for travelling until it dies.

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I guess it depends on how long you can wait really. If you can wait, the Mac Mini will be a good option with upgrade-ability. But it depends when (or if) it will come out. I don't know why they didn't release an updated one this year, looks relatively simple with a Haswell chip.

If your going down the iMac route, best way to get it would be is the Education route. 13% off instantly (you don't need to be a student to get this deal). As for specs, looks good.