Struggling to install RDesktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevo937, Jun 24, 2010.

1. stevo937 macrumors newbie

I'm running out of options installing RDesktop 1.4.1. I know 1.6 is the most recent version, but I want to audit MS terminal servers without running Windows XP in a vm and I know 1.4.1 and 1.5 are the only versions that have patches allowing brute force attempts.

I have X11 installed. I then download RDesktop...

tar -xvf rdesktop-1.4.1.tar
    cd rdesktop-1.4.1
    ./configure
    make

...this is where I get a make error 1

ld: library not found for -lX11
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [rdesktop] Error 1

During the ./configure I notice I'm missing a lot of header files...

checking for struct statfs.f_namelen... no
    checking for struct statvfs.f_namelen... no
    checking mntent.h usability... no
    checking mntent.h presence... no
    checking for mntent.h... no
    checking for setmntent... no
    checking sys/statfs.h usability... no
    checking sys/statfs.h presence... no
    checking for sys/statfs.h... no
    checking sys/vfs.h usability... no
    checking sys/vfs.h presence... no
    checking for sys/vfs.h... no

...which leads me to assume I'm missing some x11lib. I hop into xcode and reinstall x11sdk and still nothing.

I have also installed fink and tried

sudo apt-get install x11lib-dev

and it cannot find that package. I the "x11lib-dev" might not be right but I cannot find the website that used that command, but I'm sure I got it right when I was on that website. I also did an apt-get update and did the same thing with fink to update the packages on both ends. Still no luck. Also I have the unstable packages available as well.

I've been going at this for two days now and still no luck. Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. stevo937 thread starter macrumors newbie

That looks like a great product, but I'm trying to achieve brute force attacks against MS Terminal Servers. And the only way to natively do that in OS X is through RDesktop. I could use a windows based tool in vmfusion, but I'm trying to avoid that.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

So you're asking for help to break into other systems? why would anyone help you do that?

5. stevo937 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I assure you I'm not a criminal. I'm not asking this because I need help breaking into websites. I'm asking this because I want to audit the security of company networks without having to boot into a vm.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sorry, your assurance isn't very assuring.
    If you were qualified and authorized to do so, you wouldn't be here, asking for help on how to do it. :rolleyes:

7. stevo937 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I guess in order to be a professional penetration tester I should be able to do every thing possible with a computer perfect. I should never have to ask anyone a single question at all.

I mean I'm sure you guys have done everything perfect and never asked for help in your profession. :rolleyes:

I'm asking for help. I have googled as much as possible. If you think I'm doing this just to "crack" into websites then leave this ****ing thread because I do not want your help. I already have the ability to "crack" into websites if someone set a weak password for their ms terimal service. I have VMware Fusion with Windows 7 and Backtrack 4 Final. TSCrack does an excellent job of a dictionary attack UNDER WINDOWS. I want to do this natively under OS X.

Now if someone would please take me seriously I am in need of assistance. I'm not some script kiddie trying to hack into whatever server I can get into. I know MS Terminal Service isn't the best way to get into a server, but a true pen tester leaves no stone untouched.

I just want help installing RDesktop on OS X.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm sure your attitude will win you lots of friends and get lots of help here. Not.

9. stevo937 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey I walked into this forum polite simply asking for assistance. I get accused of being a criminal. I follow up with trying to explain I'm not a criminal and someone walks into the thread not providing any valuable help and only making the problem worse. How do you expect me to react?

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I have to side with steveo937 here.

There is nothing inherently wrong with RDesktop, nor does it matter what the OP wants to do with it.

GGJStudios, get off your horse. Getting this software installed properly has nothing to do with what the OP is or is not authorized to do. Your reasoning is completely invalid. He is asking for help on getting it installed in OS X, not how to use it.

OP, you are clearly missing some dependencies. Since you know what they are from the make output, I would head here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rdesktop/support

And try to get support. Also, consider taking a look at the included documentation. This isn't an OS X problem, so posting here won't get you much. Most aren't familiar with installing software in this manner, especially here.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It may not matter to you, but it does to others. I'm not interested in helping someone attack servers, especially when there is absolutely no proof that such attacks are authorized. If we have rules about Warez/Serials/Keys, it's obvious that this isn't a "hacker site" where such conduct is encouraged. While you may not care, many of us do.
    Getting the software installed enables the OP to do what they described. If they were authorized and qualified to perform such attacks, they would already have the tools in place to accomplish their objectives.

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I can perform attacks with things built-in to OS X. Does that mean we should stop talking about it?

If you aren't interested, don't post. If you took the time to look at the software, it isn't "hacking" software. Can it be used that way? Sure, but so can a number of things that can be installed which would include anything that connects to a server including FTP clients, VNC clients, SMB clients, etc etc etc.

Getting the software installed enables the OP to do what the software is advertised to do. Just as if you were installing any other software. In case you want to actually read about it: http://www.rdesktop.org/

Again, your argument is completely bogus. The OP wants to use RDesktop as a client for Windows Terminal Services, which includes RDP. End of story. There is nothing inherently malicious about this software, at all. Whether or not what the OP intends is malicious is irrelevant. The software is as legitimate as any other piece of software you wouldn't be opposed to.

By your account, I could also use Microsoft's own RDP client for OS X to "attack servers." If someone came here with a problem installing that software to "attack a server," what would you say?

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm interested in voicing my opinion, which I'm entitled to do in any thread in this forum. If you don't like my opinion, you're welcome to add me to your ignore list. Just because I don't see things the same way you do doesn't make my opinion any less valid. You see it one way; I see it another. You don't see me attacking you for your point of view, even if I disagree with it. Your attempts to "muzzle" me are futile. :rolleyes:

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Your opinion is based on an invalid argument. If you want to post invalid arguments, be my guest. But don't pull the "it's my opinion" card when you get called out on it.

I am not attempting to muzzle you, but I see why you would post that. Make me look like the bad guy to minimize my argument. What a tired tactic.

You are wrong. Plain and simple. The OP's only mistake was posting here, a place filled with people who have no idea what they are doing, outside of telling people to repair permissions and reset PRAM of course.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The opinion defense. Classic. Opinions can be wrong too buddy, especially when they are based on bad arguments and false information.

I see you have no interest in defending your "opinion." Despite trying to just a few posts ago.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a defense. I have no need or motivation to defend my opinion to you. I don't care what you think. I don't care what your opinion is. I'm secure in my position and don't require your approval. It appears, however, that you feel the need to argue so you'll appear to be knowledgeable. That's your problem, not mine. If you delight in arguing, go ahead. But you'll do it without me, because there's nothing to be gained, since I don't benefit at all if you agree with me and you won't benefit if I agree with you. Knock yourself out. :rolleyes:

18. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You should have left it alone. You are secure in a bogus position. I find it funny that you are willing to argue your position, but now you aren't. Why the sudden change of heart? Did you realize your errors?

I love debating, but it has nothing to do with asserting my knowledge. But alas, ad hominem is all you have left apparently. Asserting my need to be viewed as knowledgable and that I have some kind of problem. All too predictable when someone has nothing left to their vacuous argument.

While your position does not require my approval, that does not in anyway suggest that it isn't fair game for critique. Your position is invalid and I have made the reasons for that abundantly clear. You decided to play the opinion game, but have switched to calling it a position now.

I must say, I do love how you felt the need to respond and tell me I will be arguing with myself. You have already been shut down, step away from the keyboard.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Good for you.
    I'll do what I like, when I like. You have no authority over me. I'll step away when I choose to.

Feel better now?

20. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I thought you were done? In my opinion, people should do what they say they are going to do, but that is just my opinion.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I said I was done arguing. Posting comments isn't the same thing. I'm not going to stop posting in the forum just because you have a compulsion to try to bait me into some mindless debate about this forum topic. This thread has been derailed enough. But of course, you'll have the uncontrollable urge to have the last word, to prop up your self-esteem, so go ahead. :rolleyes:

22. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You act like a five year old, rolling your eyes all the time.

Can you really say I have to have the last word when you keep posting? Oh, because I am baiting you. Have you no will power?

Any more ad hominem? I don't think you are trying hard enough.

Also, any more assumption about character or mental state? I love those too.

23. stevo937 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, calderone. I guess the best place to ask would in fact be from the source.

24. MittenZz macrumors newbie

Sorry for reviving such an old thread! But this is the second hit on Google for this error message.

The solution is actually quite simple:
    In the makefile, change
    "LDFLAGS = -L/usr/lib"
    to
    "LDFLAGS = -L/usr/X11/lib"