Struggling with new Photos App 10.10.3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tonybell, May 2, 2015.

1. Tonybell macrumors newbie

I have just upgraded to Photos from iPhoto with 10.10.3

Q1) in the "old" iPhoto the photos were grouped into events, these events were imported to the new Photos app BUT any subsequent photos added to the new Photos app are not sorted into any form of event just by date. Surely this is a step backward and

Q2) in iPhoto you could name the events, in photos it does not seem to be possible to give a name to a group of photos.

Q3) When opening photo bursts and clicking on "make a selection" only 2 photos are available yet I know the burst consists of many more

Please advise

2. monokitty macrumors regular

Events are a thing of the past in Photos. All photos simply reside in the Photos Library as is, clumped together. If you want them organized, create albums.

3. WordLyfe macrumors newbie

The new Photos app is utterly useless.

What a jumbled mess! I don't want my photos sorted by date, I want them sorted by folders/albums and I will not sit here and make albums all day when I have the pictures sorted out in folders already. That should have been done on import.

4. Tonybell thread starter macrumors newbie

And here I thought it was just me, surely there are more comments on this. Also what about the burst issue, mentioned in Q3), can someone try this and see if you get the same results as me.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Lots of threads on how poor Photos is, empirically as well as in comparison to the Apps it replaces in the Apple lineup.

6. Tonybell thread starter macrumors newbie

So far the only benefits I can see and have read about the new Photos app vs iPhoto is

1) Better editing software (which I don't need)
    2) It may be faster, (Which I don't notice)
    3) Photo layout look like an iPhone and iPad (Which I don't like)
    4) There are dedicated categories for Video, Slo Mo, Time Lapse, Burst, (This is excellent) BUT NONE FOR NEW EVENTS!!!!!

At this stage, the down side seems massive. Please advise me if Im missing some more advantages, please lets not nit pick and be petty, I usually blindly follow apple upgrades and as a whole the advantages have always outweighed the disadvantages, but this time may be different.

Please advise what I'm missing.

7. smoking monkey, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015

smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I haven't found it all that bad to be honest, but I don't care about events.
    - What I did notice is that it put my albums out of order. So I have to go through and re-order my albums as I need them sorted individually, not by time. Having done that with one album and tested it, it came up fine on iPad.

+ - The new faces input screen is nice but you can't choose multiple photos at the same time which is a pain... maybe can do it through info tab???

+ + Keywords! This is something I will use extensively. That for me is the best feature. I don't remember iPhoto having it and if it did then... Doh! But being able to enter a keyword for multiple photos is massive for the way I use photos for work.

8. Daysight macrumors regular

Is your folder structure not intact under "iPhoto Events" in the sidebar? I imported from Aperture and that's where I found it. Only took me a few minutes on my Mac to drag and drop the albums into the Photo Library root then I was right back to the folder structure I had in Aperture. Only better: no more confusing distinction between albums and projects.

9. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

The more I use Photos the more I like it. Haven't gotten my photo tactics down exactly right yet but I love the options.

Events have basically been replaced with Moments. Moments can easily be grouped into Albums or Events. The iPhoto Events folder can be used any way you want including sub-folders. I love this option and am still deciding how to configure the folders in Events (or even what to name it).

Smart Albums are also great but I haven't figured out exactly how I want to use these on a regular basis.

The Faces deal is a problem without the ability to ignore or classify multiple faces at once. Or maybe it's there and I just haven't found it.

At any rate I'm liking Photos a lot but do need to settle in on an organization strategy. Still at the experimenting stage right now.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm trying to figure out why most of my photos imported OK, but some of them are pixelated. In one case, there's a group (by date) of six photos. There are only three actual photos, each one of which has a pixelated duplicate. "Get Info" indicates that all the images are hi-res (at least 2800x2100).

I wanted to look at the actual files, but "Show Referenced File in Finder" is grayed out.

Not sure if it should make any difference, but my iPhoto library (the one that was imported to Photos) is on an external drive.

11. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I can't believe how many people are complaining about the new program. It's better in nearly every way! For people who don't want their photos organised by date (why you wouldn't want this I don't really know!) you can organise into albums which is pretty much identical to the iPhoto events anyway.
    If you're only interested in an events/folder style organisation (very limited way to organise photos) then just organise them in folders in finder and don't bother with a photo management program as it has more to offer than you want.

12. Tonybell thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to go on about events again but maybe Im just missing something, Events shows just one picture on the front all the rest is hidden behind all photos are grouped as per the date, I find this neat and easy.

With the new Photo app all the pics are on display making it very busy and difficult to just scroll through the list. Yes you can "collapse" the pictures but this just forms a big collage of images it seems as if they group photos taken in the same area together as the date grouping seems random and changes am I correct in saying this.

13. WordLyfe macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I never used Aperture. I use Adobe LightRoom for my work, and I had iPhoto for all other pictures on my Mac.

iPhoto was removed when I upgraded to Yosemite so I can't use that anymore.

I've resorted to just using Finder and navigating my folders when I want to find any image that isn't in my LightRoom library. That's how I used to do it on my Windows PC before switching over.

14. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Albums = iPhoto Events. If you go on the album tabs all your events will be in a folder called iPhoto Events. You can edit, move, make new ones etc almost just as you would in iPhoto. If you don't like the Years, Collections, Moments view, just don't use it, you can organise all your photos into folders and albums in the albums tab.
    Think of the moments/collections view as the 'Photos' section in iPhoto, that displayed all your photos in chronological order, its basically the same as that just with clearer organisation and a bit more information displayed.

Also as previous posters have mentioned, if you go on view then show sidebar. You can navigate all your folders and albums in the tree style structure.

15. Daysight macrumors regular

I think that works only for managed libraries imported from iPhoto or Aperture, not referenced libraries.

16. jasnw macrumors 6502

OK, a simple example of one of many reasons I don't like Photos. I want to be able to select the display order of my photos in the "All Photos" view. There's a menu entry under "View" about the sort order, but it's greyed out - you can't change it! Why exactly can I not change the order in which the photos are listed??? Good old (well, acceptable old) iPhoto would at least allow you to change sort orders. I see nothing new in Photos that I want, and many things that were in iPhoto that are now missing-in-action that I do want. It really looks to me like the driving goal here was to make the photo app on OS X look/feel like the new Photos app on iOS regardless of the collateral damage.

17. Amigalander macrumors regular

Events were nice at the beginning. Eventually tho when you had them number up over 100 or so it became very cumbersome, unintuitive, and inefficient to find or browse photos.

And then some events only had 1 or 2 photos, yet others had hundreds or thousands. This was not apparent in Event view as each event is equally weighted.

And then, some collections of photos like scenery, outer space, or desktop backgrounds, or many other examples are not events at all. Where's the logic?

I agree that a key cover photo was a nice way to organize and get a handle on photo groups, but as your library grows, it becomes ineffective.

18. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Exactly, iPhoto events weren't really any different to just using folder in Finder to organise photos, dated, limited and cumbersome.
    I'm always amazed how people active on a technology forum can be so stuck in their ways and unwilling to adapt to change and move with the times.
    It's also worth nothing that Photos is a free program, compare it to the photo solutions that come with Windows, theres no comparison. If you're that fussy with the features you need, or the features you don't want then you're probably off investing some money in a different software package.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The keyword functionality is by far the biggest leap for me also. For me this will do away with creating folders/albums. If I can do a quick search for my pictures using keywords and have them show up that is really all I need.

One thing I have noticed, photos that I have labeled as hidden, are still being shown! :eek: Even when I put them into a folder. The folder then shows the name "hidden". I did like the way iPhoto handled this.

Lots of photos I don't want everyone seeing! :cool::D