stubborn video file?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I have an h.264 video file 1920x180P, filmed using my Drift Innovation headcam, which won't play in Quicktime.

I get 2 errors:

on the Drift headcam itself - invalid file

in Quicktime, "could not be opened"

in MPEGStreamclip "File open error: unrecognized file type"

I click open anyways and receive this msg: "file open error: can't find video or audio tracks"

the file itself is 620 MBs which is about right. I can open other videos filmed by this camera on the same card without issue.

Obviously this file is corrupt in some way and I believe it to be the audio b/c I CAN open it in VLC. I can see the video perfectly, but no audio. I'm not too fussed about that b/c I can narrate later.

Are there any recommendations for software to read this file? I can transcode in VLC, but it's strict on the output file types. I tried a .ts file for Cinematize Pro to read, but it won't :(

I also tried FFMPEGx, but that didn't seem to work either.

Ultimate goal is to convert this for use in Final Cut Pro so I can edit the footage (it's from a trip to Jamaica).

ANY help would be hugely appreciated. I can usually figure this stuff out so this is throwing me for a loop.

There is the option of outputting from VLC to another file format then buying the MPEG2 playback features of Quicktime, but the reviews don't look promising.

Cheers,
    keebler

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you can't come across anything else the super ghetto option could be to play the footage back in VLC and use screen capture software like SnapzPro or iShowU to record the VLC window.

Lethal

3. the vj macrumors 6502a

I have been capturing some DVDs with iShowU and I get lost of synchronization with the audio, like 20 frames or more. And I loose a bit of quality, like 15% even if is captured full resolution. But by capturing small chunks it would do.

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I you have snow leopard, you can record your screen with quicktime. No sound, but you don't need that anyway (according to your message).

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks folks. Looks like the ghetto option is the way to go.

I'll keep you posted and would like to post a youtube video to show you how amazing the food was :)

6. paragliding macrumors newbie

hello Keebler

i will tell you whats wrong bout i dont know how to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drift Innovation and Gopro head cam they almos same and i get the same problem when you turn off the camera with out stop the recording.

if the cam record and you press the button for long it will turn off the camera with out finilizing the file or the batry case open or the cam crash.

i fix it in gopro cam by conect the cam to the tv and play the file it will tell you the file not finish and ask if you want to finilizing it then it will work no problem..

now i do some searching to fix it with Drift Innovation becouse i have one file same problem but no options in Drift Innovation, this is very important mov my friend was flying paragliding and he crash so we find the memory out of the cam and we need to see to find out what was wrong..

please lets work togather we will find some way to watch the mov>

7. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks. I think you're onto something. The file must get corrupted when it's not stopped properly.

I was able to play the file in VLC and then screen record with it in QT.
    It's not the best, but it works.

8. paragliding macrumors newbie

i try with VLC nothing work
    can you please explan for me what to do

9. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Hi,

I'm not sure. You could also try opening it with MPEG Streamclip. Ignore any error messages and see that opens. Then record the screen using Quicktime when you play it in MPEG Streamclip.

10. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

others

there's also:
    visual hub
    toast
    adobe media encoder
    handbrake

11. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

or find someone with FCP, drop it into the time line and then convert it over to proress444