Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

StubHub is coming to Apple TV, marking what it says is the first ticketing app on the tvOS App Store. The app has been specifically designed for the fourth-generation Apple TV, enabling users to browse, search, and purchase tickets for sports games, concerts, theater and comedy shows, and other U.S. events from the couch.

stubhub-apple-tv-2.jpg

StubHub, owned by eBay, is a popular online marketplace for buying and selling tickets for events, including NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL games, concerts by artists such as Adele and Drake, WWE and UFC fights, comedy shows by the likes of Amy Schumer, and more. Tickets can be searched for by genre, artist, team, or venue.

stubhub-apple-tv-1.jpg

StubHub for Apple TV takes advantage of the big screen with a highly visual design intended to motivate couch sitters to get out:
The design was tested and iterated through several rounds of user feedback, in which StubHub designers added the side-scroll interface for browsing within a seating section of a specific event, and included high-resolution seat maps on the listing cards so consumers could get a clear idea of the view from the section in which they were considering tickets.
StubHub for Apple TV does not appear to be available on the tvOS App Store just yet, but it should be rolling out soon.

Article Link: StubHub Becomes First Ticketing App on Apple TV

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Can't imagine wanting to buy tickets from my TV.

I always try to steer away from StubHub in the first place, but I have to agree that I see zero value in releasing a tvOS app. I'd much rather browse my iPhone or iPad if I'm going to by tickets on the secondary market.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
That's a reach. See artist on tv and then, 1) change tv input to ATV; 2) pull up Stub Hub app; 3) attempt to navigate using the horrible remote and no keyboard to buy tickets.

How about I just pick up my phone or iPad and buy the tickets in about 10% of the time.

Seems like a natural fit. Watch an artist, comedian, or sports team, and be inspired to then go buy tickets for their next event. This could do well.

Reactions: iMerik

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
You are right, sorry. 95% of the time change the tv input to ATV and then fool with the horrible remote and "keyboard".

My point was, this app is completely superfluous and using your iPhone, iPad or laptop is probably 90% quicker.

Not necessarily.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
You are right, sorry. 95% of the time change the tv input to ATV and then fool with the horrible remote and "keyboard".

My point was, this app is completely superfluous and using your iPhone, iPad or laptop is probably 90% quicker.
I get your point.

Here's another one. By the end of the year about one in four households will have cut out cable TV. So that'd be 75% of the time, and that's assuming 100% of these remaining subscribers weren't watching something on an ATV when they chose to use StubHub.

And here's a third. You can speak text entry with the new remote, including spelling character strings. If the StubHub app lets you save account info, buying tickets might not be such a pain after all.

And when you reply, maybe don't be snide. It'd be so refreshing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keane16

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Seems like a natural fit. Watch an artist, comedian, or sports team, and be inspired to then go buy tickets for their next event. This could do well.

When some of the Apple TV apps are released I think why... but they are often a good fit. Like you say in a later post combined with Siri it's useful. For example watch a YouTube vid then quickly open StubHub with voice commands and search the artist/band etc.

I want a Rightmove app (UK property site), something I would've thought was pointless not long ago. It's nice seeing pictures of the property on the big screen especially when you are browsing with others. Currently I AirPlay Mirror the iPad app, but it would be nice having something built for control via remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.