Stuck already..

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by makavelidon04, Jan 31, 2011.

1. makavelidon04 macrumors member

I bought a 3GS off of ebay, and I want to unlock it on tmobile. I get the notice saying I need to put in a working sim card, so I figured that I have to jailbreak my phone..SO I've been trying that, but whenever I try to use redsn0w to jailbreak it, everytime I download the 4.2.1 firmware, it doesn't let me load it up..i don't know what firmware this phone is currently on as its sim locked...what am i doing wrong here? :(

2. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I do believe that you need a SIM card for the phone to activate. Do you have an active sim from T-mob? That may be the only way to activate it. I also have heard that data & internet only run on their 2G service. The data frequencies for 3G are different than the radios for the iPhone.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you downloaded and installed 4.2.1 and installed it without doing anything else you can not unlock it right now and you will most likely have a tethered jailbreak. you can skip the unlock part if you already updated since you can not change the baseband. you should have done research before buying and installing firmware. also you will need a AT&T sim to activate http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12944

4. makavelidon04 thread starter macrumors member

i haven't updated anything yet :(

5. makavelidon04 thread starter macrumors member

I have an android plan running on my tmobile simcard right now as we speak

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

what version firmware are you on right now? also what baseband setting/general/about do not upgrade. ;)

7. makavelidon04 thread starter macrumors member

i have no idea what i'm on. i'm locked out completely. when i plug the phone in,it just says i need to insert a valid simcard, and i can't do anything with quickpwn because it tells me its not the right ispw bundle.

8. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

But, I have read that the radios that talk between the iPhone & T-mob's network only work at 2G speeds. I didn't say that they won't work, they would just work @ slow speeds for data.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

Itunes will tell you what firmware you are on. like I said most likely you will need a at&T sim to activate you can barrow on from a friend or get a go-phone sim even if it's not active. might be simpler to find somebody on craigs to do for you they shouldn't charge more then $20 people do it for $10 around me.

10. makavelidon04 thread starter macrumors member

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

I already told you that you need a AT&T Sim. how many times do you need to be told. you bought a device to put on t-mobile that you don't even know if it can be unlocked right now. I going to let somebody else with more patience then me help you. good luck!