Stuck At Apple Logo, Can't Restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jomhat, Jul 17, 2010.

1. jomhat macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS
    FW: 3.1.3
    Baseband: 5.12.01
    Jailbroken: Spirit
    Unlock: repo666.ultrasn0w
    Carrier: T-Mobile

I was attempting to use the "Erase All Data and Restore All Settings" option in the Options>Reset menu of the iPhone on a Spirit Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3GS and it got stuck in the boot screen (Apple logo). When it's stuck there, it will not show up on my computer, and when I put it in recovery mode or DFU mode, iTunes reads it but nothing else (I tried to run Spirit again), and from iTunes the only thing I can do is update to 4.0.1, as my blobs for 3.1.3 were not saved. If anyone has input on this, please share. I would like to remain 3.1.3 so I can use it with T-Mobile.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. jomhat thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I wanted to erase all data. I needed to get rid of all installed applications, all contacts, all media, etc. I have two iPhones and I was going to give this one to a friend which required my removing of all my crap. I figured it would probably remove Cydia and WinterBoard but I wasn't that worried about it. It's not like Spirit was hard to use.

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

You answered your own question. You are screwed until a new unlock comes out.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^^
    What he said.

You could’ve deleted that information by just syncing your iPhone. Although it wouldn’t totally delete the info, anyone trying to get the data off would have to resort to extraordinary measures.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, you're pretty much SOL now.
    All you can do is restore to 4.0.1
    Next time know that "Erase all content and settings" deletes everything including the OS installed and only way to get it back to life is by restoring it.
    And if you dont have SHSH's saved for previous builts all you can do is go to the latest firmware thats out.

7. jomhat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's what I was asking. I couldn't have answered my own question if I wasn't sure of the answer. Thank you for verifying.

Just to put in one last comment, this is obviously wrong considering I've used the Erase All Content and Settings on a non-jailbroken iPhone (not plugged into to a USB port or synced to a computer via any method at all) and after about a minute it rebooted successfully with the same firmware, just minus all apps, media, and contacts. Which is what I was going for. Which is why I did it.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No you didnt.
    You did not do "erase all content and settings" and then the phone rebooted successfully without a restore and with apps,media and contacts missing.
    That is not possible.
    Maybe you clicked reset all settings, reset network settings or any other resets but NOT the Erase All content and settings.
    After that even stock/nonjailbroken phones need a restore thru itunes to become functional again.
    Research a little more before you claim what I posted is wrong. Actually research before you pull another genius move like that:D
    I tried to help on your previous thread also but again you didnt seem to get it.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=968734&highlight=

9. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Being argumentative and defensive will just make it so none of us will help you next time. Accept the advice and move on.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I did the same thing with my 3GS 32GB before I gave it to my brother, and he's with T-Mobile as well. DO NOT plug into your computer iTunes b/c it will update and you can't get past it. Press cancel!!!! I took it to the mall and it was still on 3.1.3 and had the old bootrom from a previous JB with spirit, some mom and pop shop did a JB and Unlock in 20 minutes, (it would have been faster but the battery will die when it's in the state that you described). $15 and I had a JB & Unlock...:cool:

You don't need to have a SIM card in it to JB and Unlock...

Applejuiced is correct; if you ERASE ALL DATA you will NOT have all your apps, media content and contacts, etc...

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So what are you telling/advising to do?
    Bring it to the mall or some other JB/unlock store and they will be able to get it unlocked and JB in the state the phone is now?
    Not possible.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I beg to differ only from experience. The screen says "connect to iTunes" and then it would switch back to the "silver apple" and eventually the battery died. So, I took it in and the guy connected it to a PC laptop and I saw the screen request a SIM card, but he couldn't do anything for about 10 minutes b/c the battery had died and he charged it long enough to JB and Unlock. Mailed the iPhone 3GS 32GB to my brother and he's using it with T-Mobile. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, they have at least 10 different stores at the mall that JB & Unlock iPhones for $15-$35...

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you say so but your story is wild.
    Once the erase all has been done it doesnt matter if the battery dies and you recharge. it wont get anywhere without a restore.
    The OS itself is gone. It will not bring up the screen where it requests a sim.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

All I know is that I was in the same boat as the OP, and I had written down all my previous JB w/Spirit, Bootrom, iTunes 9.2, the dead battery; explained the screen situation requesting a SIM card, and the guy told me over the phone to bring it down and ensure that I DO NOT connect to iTunes 4.0 update...

15. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Please don't spread disinformation. You may be a demi-god but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It is literally impossible for him to get his phone unlocked at this time. You think some mom & pop shop in china town will be able to do what the DevTeam and Geohot can't (or haven't done yet)?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah ok