Stuck at Apple Logo with Spinning Process Wheel under it after CCC Restore

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Smittay, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Smittay macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I had a CCC Backup of my imac which died, Time Machine would not back it up, so I had to use Carbon Copy Cloner. -- However I did not realize you had to have a partition on the HD backup to boot from with CCC.

I am using Lion 10.7.4

No Problem, I followed the CCC instructions to create a bootable partition on the iMac i was going to restore to...

I first backed the iMac i was restoring to up, then made the Recovery partition, then used CCC to restore my old imac to the this imac.

It looked like it worked, no error messages, it showed the iMac 10.7.4 to reboot from in system preferences, but then when I let it restart, it just got stuck at the Apple logo with the process wheel spinning underneath it....

It looks great on the Macintosh HD, all my stuff is there from my CCC Backup from my old iMac that died, however ....... it archived the iMac's files (the one i moved to) into a folder above called _CCC Archives, which contains 2012-09-01 -> Applications, Library, System and Users from this iMac I tried to restore to...

Any ideas?? i really could use the help!

It's like all my stuff is there, but it just doesn't know how to boot and use it -- I feel like throwing away the _CCC Archives folder and repairing permission with Disk Utility or something... but I dont know what to do and its time sensitive.

Thank you so much for you help in advance.
    Erik

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Start it up in verbose mode (Command-V). What line does it stop at?

3. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

Im in the Recovery Partition, I should boot using the 10.7.4 and hold command V ?? thanks

4. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

Hi Intell

how do i grab that log for verbose???

any file path?? go-> ??

it said it was confused... i can try hand writing it down, or if theres a way to grab the log from verbose mode and paste it in here, im all ears!! :)

thank you for helping me :)

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I forget where the log is stored. But what line does it end at or repeat?

6. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

It ended saying there was confusion between files ie. the users already on the iMac and the iMac I restored onto it... Then I ran disk utility and it logged me in but I had no permissions or linked files or anything...

Hey if I make a disk image of my CCC files the clone of my iMac hd, can I restore from that in disk utility???

Gonna get the image set up, thanks for your help again :)

7. Smittay thread starter macrumors member

Well, I had to cave in and go to a time machine backup from 3 months ago. It totally sucks, so after 24 hours of wasted time I said screw it.

I had my wife look at the CCC instructions and it turns out the Mac you are moving to had to have a clean install of OSX, so I did that with the Lion USB drive, made a fresh recovery partition on the new iMac and I'm in there now trying to restore from a CCC backup in a folder on an external HD from a couple days ago. Replacing the freshly installed iMac HD with CCC backup of mine. Only 4-6 more hours to go yea !!!! ( sarcasm )

Does any of this sound right?? Anyone?

Any help would be great Erik