Stuck at Apple Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by brenmitch7, Jun 14, 2011.

1. brenmitch7 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Recently I discovered that my iPhone 3GS was frozen so I restarted it. Upon restarting it, it became "stuck" at the screen with the silver Apple. After several attempts to restart, with the same result, I began searching online for an answer. First, I did a full restore to iPod, but once again received the same result. My computer detects the iPhone and I can sync it, but nothing, expect for the boot screen will appear!

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Have you tried the simultaneous sleep/home push for a 'hard reset'? After doing that, wait 30 sec before turning it on again. See how that works out. Did it happen out of the blue?

3. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

If you've already done a restore, several reboots, etc then you may be having an issue with the proximity sensor. It may sound crazy but I've had this happen quite a bit.

If you're comfortable with opening the phone...open the phone, unplug the #3 connector and then reboot. If it reboots which I suspect it will you need to replace the sensor/speaker assembly or the connector on the board needs replaced.

4. brenmitch7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds pretty complicated @ylerT. Would this require me to buy additional parts?

5. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

You won't need any additional parts to test the theory. However, if you're not comfortable opening the phone I wouldn't recommend it. Do you know if your phone is still under warranty through Apple?

6. brenmitch7 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I don't believe so. There is a small crack in the bottom left portion and I did not purchase accidental insurance. How would I go about opening the phone?

7. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

I'm not sure what the rules are for links and things like that but...if you search YouTube and Google, there's a ton of videos and guides on how to take it apart.

Luckily, you can test this problem fairly quickly. You just need to remove the 2 bottom screws, lift the screen up. Be careful, don't pull the display assembly up too fast or you could rip the cables. Disconnect the #1, #2 and #3 connectors. After that, only re-connect #2(digitizer) and #1(LCD). Reboot the phone and if it boots all the way you know what the problem is. That's just the beginning though. ;)