Stuck at blue screen after update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DefaultID, Aug 18, 2010.

1. DefaultID macrumors newbie

First off, hello macrumors community. I'm new to mac and just got a macbook pro a little over a month ago, and any time I had a question about using it, I found lots of helpful answers here, so I'm hoping you guys and gals can figure this one out for me too.

I just installed an update on my macbook, but once it completed, it got stuck at the blue loading screen with the swirling thing for more than 10 minutes (I started to pay attention when I noticed it hadn't booted up faster, so I'm not exactly sure how long it took). It eventually restarted itself though. It's happened once before, but I did what I use to do on my old windows laptop and just held down the power button until it powered off, let it sit for a little bit, and then booted it back up. It worked just fine.

My question is, is anyone else having this problem and is there a fix? Is this something I need to be worried about? Did I somehow mess something up by powering it down and back up before?

Thanks for any help you all can offer. I appreciate it.

Edit: Forgot to mention what macbook pro it is (if it matters). 15in MBP, OS X 10.6.4, 2.4GHz Intel core i5, 4G RAM...if there's any other specifications you need to know, let me know and I'll try to find it. I may need you to tell me how to find that information however haha :p

2. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

If your MBP worked properly afterward, there's nothing to worry about. It's just some weird stuff happening during the system update process.
    Sometimes the packages issued by the Software Update behave like that so you need to download the update package directly from the Mac OS X section of the Apple website.
    It's annoying for sure but the worst that can happen is that you're forced to re-install Mac OS from your original DVD, which can take up to 1 hour, and then install the update.
    For safety, anyway it's always good to have a Time Machine backup of your Macintosh HD.

Cheers!