Stuck at High CPU

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brianpitta726, Apr 20, 2009.

1. brianpitta726 macrumors newbie

I will be running MS Excel, preview, firefox, and activity monitor. All of a sudden my Activity monitor says that there is about % User of 50% and the fan will start running. I cannot find what program is making it run this high. I quit every program and it gets stuck on this until I restart the computer. I have done this about 3 times and it always comes back. None of the programs are registering high CPU usage.

Any ideas what might be causing this or how to fix it? My last computer had an overheating problem where the fan was always on and that was part of the reason I switched to Macs - really hoping that issues doesn't follow me from Windows to Mac.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Make sure Activity Monitor is showing you "All Processes", not just "My Processes". If it already is showing all, and nothing with a high CPU usage is showing up...then I don't know what could be wrong.

3. brianpitta726 thread starter macrumors newbie

iAntivirus

Thanks for the tip- I changed the preference and saw that something running through iAntivirus was what was causing it. I shut down that program and it went back to normal.

Now the question is has this happened with anyone using iAntivirus and if so is there a better mac antivirus out there?

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Well, my question to you is going to be, why are you using an anti-virus? I mean, yeah, there's a peace of mind or whatever, but there is nothing out there (knocks on wood) that will harm your Mac, and if there is, you most likely have to install it to make it effective, so that would be your fault anyway, anti-virus or not.

Mac or PC, anti-virus will always slow down your computer, even if it isn't much, but in your case, it slowed it down 50%.

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yes, No Antivirus.

No Antivirus will defend against the same number of wild viruses that iAntivirus will, and it's completely free. The download is nearly instantaneous, and your machine will be every bit as secure as when iAntivirus was installed.