Stuck at the Grey Screen of Death

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shockley, May 30, 2010.

1. Shockley macrumors newbie

So I've got this huge problem... About two weeks ago I'm using my snow leopard partition of my macbook pro and browsing the internet via firefox. My mouse freezes for a second, and then my computer just shuts down. I power back up my macbook pro to find a 'cancel or prohibitory symbol'. Strange thing is I can hold down option and boot into my windows partition no problem I go through all the motions suggested by the apple website, such as resetting the PRAM etc.. Nothing works.

Flash forward to today. I finally get a hold of my snow leopard installation disc and boot my macbook with it. I run the disk utility and it finds that my hard drive's good to go. I read online and it seems that the best option would be to install snow leopard again. I decide install it again, but about halfway through the installation, the installation fails and pretty much freezes. I had to shut down the macbook via the power button. Now, whenever i try to boot up my macbook I hear the chime, but nothing happens after that. I am just left with a grey screen. I cannot enter safe mode, single user mode, and when I try to choose the start up disk by holding down option, the arrow pops up to choose which disk to pick, but there are no disks to choose from.

Sorry for the long message, but I just wanted to type everything out so there are no misunderstandings. I've got a final on wednesday and I have a good bit of material on the macbook that I need to prepare myself for this test. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Experienced this twice - once with my own Mac and once on my father's. Bad news is we needed to trash the Hitachi hard drives since the problem rooted from them. Tell me, when you get to the grey screen does the computer become extremely hot after sometime ?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you have a backup?

Do you have access to another Mac? If so I'd try connecting it via target disk mode to see if you can recover any of your stuff. Seems like you went through the standard suggestions, at this point you're looking at needing a replacement hard drive.

4. Shockley thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunatetly I do not have back up of any sort. It's times like this that make you realize how useful time machine + an external hard drive can be.

I do have access to a mac, however. I'm posting on a family members macbook right now. I've read about the target disk mode before. Do I need to use a firewire cable, or would a USB cable be acceptable too?

Yeah I just felt the computer and it's burning up.

5. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

I'm not sure about the USB option, but Firewire works fine with Target Disk Mode. That is assuming your HDD is fine. Firewire is also faster than a USB transfer.

6. Shockley thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I'm gonna have to run out and grab a firewire cable then. I just have to hold down t once I boot the messed up computer, right?

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

your hard drive is certainly toast. sorry to say. Target is your only chance.

8. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Drive's gone. Sorry...

9. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

This.

I experienced the GSOD earlier this month and lost all my work related documents (resumes, cover letters, etc etc) and all of my notes and homework for this quarter (THANK GOD I had just finished midterms or I would have been screwed). I just bought myself a new MBP since I was planning on it in June anyways.

tldr; backup your info or suffer horrible experiences like me.

10. striker9 macrumors member

If you are able to connect via target disk, I would back everything up and reformat with disk utility from your other computer.

11. Shockley thread starter macrumors newbie

Well damn... Any chance that I'll be able to actually get the info back via target disk?

12. striker9 macrumors member

Well you did say you started to reinstall the OS from the CD, so there is a chance that your data is already gone if it got that far into the install before you powered off.

If you have access to another computer with the same RAM, try taking yours out and replacing it. While its unlikely, bad RAM can cause your computer to stick at the grey screen.

13. Shockley thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I did reinstall, but it recognized that snow leopard was already installed and it was just doing a repair.

14. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Makes me wonder why on God's green earth didn't you back your data up ? :eek: I always have two backups of my disk and an offsite, weekly clone of my drive in case an earth quake crushes everything I have.

15. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I tried to when I found out my HDD was failing but time machine's backups weren't working... and it died in the middle of a backup. So... fml?

16. Shockley thread starter macrumors newbie

Any suggestions for a new internal HD? I'd rather not get another Hitachi.

17. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Sorry to hear your HD died... just run target mode and try to recover your info.

WD scorpio blue drives are good, and affordable. I think newegg has the 640Gb at about 80 bucks.

Make yourself a favor and get 2, 1 for your MBP and one for backup...

18. Shockley thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to see if it would work, I put snow leopard on an external hard drive with a GUID partition and tried to boot my macbook pro with it. And wouldn't you have it, didn't work. I held down option after the chime on the start up and I got to the screen with the arrow to let me pick which disk I wanted to boot, but there were no options. Does this mean anything more serious than my hard drive is messed up??

19. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Get an Intel SSD if you can afford one. Otherwise Western Digital or Samsung will do the job. Preferably a 7200 RPM drive.

20. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

adding to the last post, if you go with seagate, check out the seagate freeagent 1tb external hdd.

21. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

22. vinmunoz, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

vinmunoz macrumors newbie

Guys,

I have the same problem. After reading all your posts here, I bought myself a brand new WD 7200rpm hard drive. I installed it but the problem's still there.

Any other solution please. It will start in my Snow L DVD but when I start to format the disk using Disk Utility, GSOD occurs.

I just have my videocard replaced by an apple store gs 1 month ago.

Sometimes I'm getting a purple screen. sometimes dark grey.

Please help... I don't want to rest my iMac(2000$+) to the graveyard. It's a big lost for me.

What else can I do guyz?

I hope it's not the logic board.

vinz