Stuck between a rock and, well, a "brick"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhamerphoto, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

I waited for what seemed like forever for the update (like so many others) and I'm now unsure of what to do.

My options are:

New 15" 2.8ghz 320gb 7200rpm MBP
    cons: glossy screen (not that bad, my current one is glossy and I'm used to it) and no firewire 400 (is there such thing as a DV to FW800 cord?)

17" MBP, likely a refurb
    cons: not as fast as the 2.8ghz, big and heavy for traveling to school (but I don't bring it a whole lot)

The price difference isn't crazy enough to sway me either way, so can you help me point out some pros and cons of each? God I feel like a newbie here, but I'm usually someone giving advice :p

I'm a photography student, and despite the glossy display, am currently swaying towards the 15". This is because I'm no doubt going to buy a second display no matter which model I buy, which will be matte, so that helps to cancel out the glossy display issue.

2. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

I hate bumping, but I'd really love a little help. :eek:

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get a refurb 17"

And no need to bump it in less than 20 min..

4. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I was just a little antsy with all the activity in other threads.

And any reason for the recommendation besides the matte screen?

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

It seems to me that the new 15" would be the better option for you if you're not concerned about the screen given the fact that you'll purchase an external monitor.

It's smaller, therefore easier to carry when you do want to lug it around.

It's faster.

Better video card.

It's newer.

Multi-touch.

6. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I figure. I love the new style trackpads, but I was worried for a bit that it would be multi-touch tap to click only :p

7. dougnewman macrumors 6502

You could buy the old-style 15" if you like the 17" except for the display size.

8. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to avoid the 8600M. I only thought of the 17" as an option because it has a high-res screen. Ultimately I think I would just never want to take a 17" anywhere, and I like the new features of the new ones, and frankly, the design is really growing on me.

9. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

FW800 has always been backward compatible with FW400 devices. You can either use a FW800-FW400 cable or buy an adapter.

10. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I guess I'll just use an adapter.

Just wondering, will I see a vast improvement with the 7200rpm drive over the 5400 rpm drive? Working with mainly photos, I can't see this being a huge difference, unless I'm missing something.

11. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Get the new base model 15 with a 320 gig hard drive.

The middle model 15 is a waste of money for your use (as well as most people's usage), especially the 2.8ghz processor. The processors are more than powerful enough at 2.4 and bog down at other areas, like the hard drive.

I think a 7200 rpm does make enough of a difference, and I might go that route this time, although it does cut battery life a little.

12. Kaliemon macrumors member

I had to make the same decision.

I ended up going with the new 15 with 2.8Ghz and the 320GB 7200 RPM HD.

The 17 just seems too big (sorry to anyone who has one) to carry around especially to class everyday. I don't know about your situation, but I walk everywhere so the extra bulk of the 17 helped me choose.

Plus I actually like the look of the new design

13. iondot macrumors member

No glossy

I know it's a matter of taste and perception, but I can't abide a glossy screen. I know it makes colors pop, but it makes me insane when there is any kind of glare.

So I guess the glass screens are a deal-breaker for me.

14. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

15. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'll get the 2.53ghz MBP standard model, 5400rpm drive and all. The $50 upgrade just isn't worth ordering online and going through delivery hassle. In-store is so much easier, and my school is 1 block from an apple store which will have them by the end of the week.

Thanks everyone!

As for the glossy screen, my current MBP is glossy, and it doesn't bother me all that much. I'm used to it now, so I'm sure I'll live.

16. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I actually like the look of the new design, I just don't like the glossy display for practical reasons.