Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
UK
A CD got stuck in my optical drive a week ago. I went to burn a CD last night and totally forgot about the 'stuck' CD, so I ended up with 2 stuck discs.

I had no luck fishing them out with paper clips and credit cards, so I decided to dissemble the iMac and take them out manually.

Having succeeded, I turned on my iMac to see if everything was okay.

The machine is running smoothly, but I have 2 problems; I can no longer insert CD's into the Optical Drive; and there is a annoying sound coming from the drive 5-6 times a minute.

Here's a video of the sound: http://youtu.be/abYvPhtP6gc

Any solutions?

Mac.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
UK
Oh dear :(

Do you think it's worth dissembling the iMac again to try fiddling with the Optical Drive so I can at least insert a CD and see if the drive is working?

I'm clutching straws :eek:

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
A CD got stuck in my optical drive a week ago. I went to burn a CD last night and totally forgot about the 'stuck' CD, so I ended up with 2 stuck discs.

I had no luck fishing them out with paper clips and credit cards, so I decided to dissemble the iMac and take them out manually.

Having succeeded, I turned on my iMac to see if everything was okay.

The machine is running smoothly, but I have 2 problems; I can no longer insert CD's into the Optical Drive; and there is a annoying sound coming from the drive 5-6 times a minute.

Here's a video of the sound: http://youtu.be/abYvPhtP6gc

YouTube: video

Any solutions?

sounds like a replacement drive needed as sound like it still think disc still in and trying to eject. easiest way to remove stuck disc i found is to use double sided tape e.g. carpet tape on a lolly stick or something thinner in conjunction with the eject button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.