Stuck/Dead Pixel on iPad 2 :(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by akal575, Mar 24, 2011.

1. akal575 macrumors member

So am browsing on my iPad about to open safari when bam I see it, a stuck pixel popping out like a sore thumb against my homescreen. It's stuck on the color blue so anything that is dark background makes it really visible. I know it's just 1 pixel but it is the first thing my eye goes too and makes me a sad panda.

Is there anything I can do?

If this helps to know it's a Black 32 GB AT&T 3G

Thanks

2. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

you could utilize the search function here on the forum and read through the countless other threads mentioning the same issue. then see what everyone else suggested they do for a solution.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Here are three different quick blinking animated gifs that might help if you place them underneath the stuck pixel on the screen:

http://blog.gwax.com/pics/rgb3.gif
    http://blog.gwax.com/pics/rgb5.gif
    http://blog.gwax.com/pics/rgb7.gif

A combination of those and massaging the area around the pixel has been known to work on stuck LCD pixels in some cases.

http://blog.gwax.com/2006/01/03/unsticking-stuck-lcd-pixels/

If that doesn't work then just take it to an Apple store and let them swap it out. :)

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

5. thompson11 macrumors member

I'm taking mine to the Apple Store on Saturday, hopefully they can swap it out.

It's not the end of the world, mine is dead rather than stuck... but if they'll replace it on the spot, why not.

6. SpyderDriver macrumors newbie

I had mine replaced a few hours ago for this same issue. The problem is that my new one has terrible backlight bleeding.

7. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Swap it out. Apple gave me a new one without question.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've got one as well, but I've been waiting for things to die down a bit. It's really noticeable when I'm reading in Kindle unless it lines up with text. I go by it reading and it's all, "Look at the little red dot!"

Glad to hear Apple is swapping them. It would be crap to spend $700 on a device and to be told a red dot on the screen is normal.

9. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have the same blue stuck pixel on mine. The strange thing is it's not there in the first 30min I turn it on and then it shows up after that. It doesn't really bother me too much so I will live with it.

10. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Mine went away for a little while after they asked me to restore but it always came back.. Ya might as well return it and get a flawless device...

11. Reticent macrumors member

Swap it. It's an iPad 2 so regardless of whether you bought applecare they'll do something about it (and since it's an iPad they'll swap it).

No doubt in my mind, go swap it. You have nothing to lose, and a new iPad to gain.

12. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I had an obnoxious green stuck pixel on my first iPad 2. It would flash on and off, which made it absolutely impossible to ignore. I exchanged it with no problem at all.

13. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

I have a annoying dead pixel on my Verizon 64gb, however I bought it from B&H photo in NY, can I still get it exchanged at my local NJ apple store under the iPad factory warranty no questions asked?

14. FireSokar macrumors regular

I had an dead pixel on my iPad 1. Best-Buy was out of stock when i had bought it and so was the apple store, I forgot about it and just got rid of it after having it since launch week.. It's not that big of an issue but I do agree its annoying.

15. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

*Bump* can I exchange my iPad with dead pixels at the apple store, even though it was not bought there?

16. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Yes

17. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Yessiree

18. freemini macrumors regular

freemini

yeah, you should know that Apple Care is also international. I bought my iPad in Spain, and got it exchanged here in Norway because of some weird backlighting problem. No questions asked, they really impressed me. It wasn't even on sale then, and I got it back repaired in 2 days..

19. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Bright red stuck pixel here, as well as a bunch of other off-white ones (really only visible when I boot up). Weirdly enough, I don't think it was there yesterday. What could cause it to suddenly happen? Any way the smart cover could be causing it with their magnets?

20. helmethead14 macrumors newbie

exchanged an ipad2 with a dead pixel

I had one dead pixel on my ipad2 (purchased from Target). So I made an appointment with the genius bar. They looked at it and exchanged it on the spot. However, they did mention that having one (dead pixel) is still within the industry standards (it depends on the screen size of the LCD) but as a courtesy that they would exchange it so that I'd be happy with my purchase.

21. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

I was worried about that. I have a genius bar appt at 2:30 to exchange. Fortunately, besides the one bright red dead pixel, there are a few more that are dead that are barely visible that I won't even bring up unless they question me.

22. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Screen shot?

I've read about dead pixels on here but either have never had one or do not know what I'm supposed to be seeing. Is it just a burnt out tiny spot?

23. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Okay either 1) I'm going crazy, 2) being in natural light (in a cab to the apple store right now) makes it impossible to see or 3) syncing with iTunes does something to refresh the screen, but I can no longer find my dead pixel.

Edit: found it when we went under a bridge.

24. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Don't enable their crappy QC, go to the genius bar, 'nd get it replaced, worse case scenario, you have to wait a couple weeks for them to get your replacement order. In the mean time you keep your current iPad 2....

That's my situation.:cool:

25. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

I found an apple store that had a replacement for me in stock!

Fortunately, I have 3 apple stores within one hour of me lol