Stuck/dead pixel on new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HomicidalCuckoo, Oct 16, 2008.

1. HomicidalCuckoo macrumors newbie

Has anyone checked the LCD on their new MacBook Pro for dead or stuck pixels? I just bought the new 2.53 last night and noticed one in the center of the screen while surfing the web, and wasn't sure if I should just return it, or return it, eat the restocking fee, and try a different unit. Or just live with it if it's prevalent across different units.

Thanks!

2. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

If you bought it in store I would try to exchange it. I don't know what Apple's dead pixel policy is but I am afraid everytime I order a BTO setup. I had 3 prior MBP's. The second one had two dark spots in the screen (hi-res). I took it in and they replaced the screen, but I waited nearly a year after I bought it to take it in because I needed it for work/school.

I would at least try. I know a pixel is worse than the dark spots I had. I spent a lot of money on an Alienware computer years ago and it had one in the center of the display. I was pissed but they wouldn't do anything unless you had a certain number either in different places or a fewer all touching.

If they tell you no just ask to talk to the store manager. They dropped my last 17" MBP 2 times and were just going to fix it and I had been without it for a month. I talked to a store manager and he called Applecare and got an authorization for a replacement.

The store manager can make anything happen and a majority of them would rather solve the problem than half to deal with a pissed off customer.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Buying new notebooks is fun, but when getting a dead/stuck pixel... it ruins the whole experience... Its always nerve wrecking.

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i think it's 3 or more before they will take it with no questions. even if i had 1 on a brand new laptop i would return it. nothing is perfect, but when you plop down that kind of cash it should be.

5. pufftissue macrumors regular

Don't buy any store's excuse that dead pixels are normal variation.
    If it was normal, then most screens would have dead pixels. You paid for 1440x900 pixels. You should get that many; if others can get what they paid for, why shouldn't you?
    I'd for sure return it. Some people don't care, but I definitely care. Esp. for $2000. I think that it's reasonable given the price premium and Apple's own desired image as a premium brand that they hold up their end of the bargain and deliver premium products, which I include to mean no dead pixels. It's clearly economically feasible because Asus has been offering no dead pixels for years now as a guarantee, and I don't see them going out of business.

6. Bwilky macrumors regular

Agreed.

Always check the computer that day. If there is a dead pixel, bring it back that day. You have a better chance of a exchange. If they say no, put on a hissy fit in front of their potential customers. They will then exchange it no questions asked.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Usually and most likely they will give you an exchange. But the 2nd or possibly 3rd time if you have really bad luck.. they might deny you then.

8. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I agree... For $2K+ I would demand a working screen. In the days when it was hard to manufacture a screen with zero defects that was more palatable to say it takes x or more bad pixels... But today, with a company known for high standards, I would be back there in a flash...

9. Down3yDJdud3 macrumors newbie

You know everything was going great until this morning, I noticed a dead/stuck pixel dead center of my screen! At first I thought it was some dust or something, but no, it is definitely on the screen itself. I guess I will be with the OP in trying to return this bad boy! Other then that I love this thing, but that is BS that a brand new computer all ready has a dead/stuck pixel! not excusable in my book, especially after spending 2K~~

The worst is the pain in the ass it's going to be! I don't know how long it has been there, but it was glaringly obvious when I started the machine up this morning!

WAAAACK! And to think I switched back to mac for the hassle free experience.... maybe there is no such thing in the computing world!

10. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I am on my 4th lcd with my MBP because of dead pixels and what not, so don't give in. For the price we pay, expect the best quality.

11. macgrl macrumors 65816

How big is a stuck pixel on a mbp. I have never had one and am now worrying about it. Are we talking about the size of a . (full stop) or smaller / bigger?

Thanks

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The MBP is way too expensive for you to tolerate a dead pixel (that apparently is bothering you).

Give it back. You should not have to pay a restocking fee since it's defective. The box says 1440x900 (or whatever the resolution is) and you're getting less than that.

13. powersurge macrumors member

This exact issue has me worried. I'm close to ordering my first Mac and I really don't want to have to deal with a dead pixel on a $3000 laptop. Sadly there isn't an apple store for 250 miles and the local Bestbuy doesn't have a clue when they might (or if they will at all) get the Macbook Pro.

On top of that I was planing on ordering the 2.53ghz model with the 7200rpm 320gb hard drive plus Applecare. I'd really hate to get it and have to send it all the way back and fight them on the phone over what I consider a defective screen.

14. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Actually, on laptops I've dealt with, I've had pretty good luck with dead pixels....2 macbooks, 1 macbook pro, 2 macbook airs, all with no dead pixels.

Order it on apple.com. If it has a dead pixel you can call them up and send it back. you'll have to do some arguing with them since they'll probably say no initially but they will cave if you are firm enough.

15. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Why not ask if they can replace it with a matte screen?! :D

16. NStocks macrumors 65816

I'm going to my nearest apple store next sunday ( 26th Oct ), to pick up my first Mac... Macbook Pro and if it had a stuck pixel when I got it, can I send it back without actually going instore as its 2 hours away?

Could someone help me with this : My Brothers Girlfriend is coming with me so that I can get HE discount. now she does'nt have a student card, but will a acceptance letter be ok ?

NStocks