Stuck/Dead Pixel(s) on Retina Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lmddawson, Aug 3, 2013.

1. lmddawson macrumors regular

Hey guys,

bought a refurb Retina Macbook Pro Feb 2013 last week straight from Apple, and just a few days later I see there's either a stuck or dead pixel on the screen. Could someone please clarify which it is and if I can / Apple will do anything about it? Pretty shoddy for something I've paid so much for. Can't take my eyes off it now I know it's there.

:(

[​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My advice - call/see apple about this. Only then will you know how apple will deal with this problem.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Yes apple should swap it out. It's not a dead pixel, but a cluster of dead sub pixels. If they were dead they would be black spots. If it was one, it would be much smaller. Each pixel is made up of Red, Green and Blue LED's. As you can tell the blue ones are still working.
    I wonder if this happened to the previous owner, and thats why it was a refurb? Could be totally unrelated of course.

4. lmddawson thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Genius appointment booked monday.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Good luck. Just make sure you have everything backed up on an external before you go (and ideally 2).

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You should have a 14 day return policy, so even if Apple doesn't want to fix it as a warranty issue you can always just return it for another one.

7. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Refurbs should be banned

Seriously, if I paid so much for something like this, I would expect better. I was considering refurb when I traveled to the states this year, but when I see things like this, I will just past.

I know there are some staunch defenders of refurbs, whatever!

Recommendation based on experienced I have read so far, stay away from them. The only thing they are good for is slapping Tim Cook over the head.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You do realize that even brand new machines often come with flaws like dead pixels, scratches, and defective parts right?

Refurbs come with the same 14 day return policy and same 1-year warranty as a new machine. Getting a refurb with a problem is the same as getting a new machine with a problem, Apple will fix it.

9. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Can you return a refurb at a Apple retail store? or do you have to ship it back?

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Not sure about that.

Previously you had to ship it back, but recently they added the option to be able to pick up your refurbished machine at your local Apple store. I would think that if you picked it up at the Apple store that they might send it back for you if there were a defect when you opened it up. Haven't tried it myself though.