stuck grey waiting app

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sossity, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I know this is posted in another section, but as of now, there are 138 views & no reply, so perhaps this might be a better section to post this in.

I have an iphone 3gs that is jailbroken & untethered ios 4.3.3 with t-mobile.
    am using mac os 10.6.8

I recently tried to access the apple apps store over a wifi network, & an app appeared ibooks, that I wanted to download, & I could not get into my itunes store account, I had forgotten my password. I then had to leave the place with the wifi, & now I have a mystery grey app waiting icon.

I cannot remove it, I have tried, resets, reboots, turning on & off with red slider. re syncing, removing all my apps & re syncing, I even went out to another place with free wifi, to try to access the apps store, but it could not access the app store.

I have since downloaded & added ibooks to my iphone from my home computer, but the mystery grey app is still there.

I cannot do a restore as I don't want to lose my jailbreak & tmobile account

am I forever stuck with this? should I just leave it & be happy the rest of the phone works?will it cause serious problems with the phone?

2. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

Did you try logging out and back into the app store?

3. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

This actually happened to me awhile back on my 3GS. I for some reason put in the wrong password when I downloaded the app. My iPhone however wasn't jailbroken. All I did was reboot the iPhone and it just disappeared when I turned it on again. Just wondering, do you even see the grey waiting icon on your task manager? It has to do with the app store though. The issue that is.. Not the iPhone.

4. matthew12 macrumors member

matthew12

try holding down the icons to delete them and delete the one that can't install

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I did, I did this on my home computer.
    will this waiting app cause serious problems for my iphone? if I cannot remove it?

6. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

It won't. Don't worry.

7. matthew12 macrumors member

matthew12

try deleting the app from the iPhone itself, not through the computer

8. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, the app does not show up in the task bar of my iphone, when I press the home button to see what is running, it does not show up there.

I have tried to delete the app from the phone, by holding it, & making all the apps wiggle, but there is no X for me to put my finger on to delete it, like with the other apps.

I have tried to get back into the app store when I was near a wifi in an office depot, but I got cannot connect to app store.

I dont have wifi at home.

9. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

The issue is with the app store. Sign off & on like someone suggested. Get on 3G or w/e.

10. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the responses, I was back at the place where I tried to download ibooks over wifi, I tapped the app store icon on my iphone, the message came up about ibooks just as before, but this time I canceled, & the grey app went away.