Stuck halfway through Tiger reinstall

Discussion in 'iMac' started by techGrid, May 8, 2014.

1. techGrid macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Since my hard drive seems to have failed and nothing else was working, I erased my hard drive and tried to reinstall from the original Tiger install discs (10.4.4). The first one worked fine, but now it's asking for the second install disc, which I keep putting in but the disc drive keeps rejecting it. It's clean with no scratches, I've contacted Apple and looked online for replacement discs to no avail, they don't make them anymore. What's more, I can't seem to get out of the install menu that keeps asking for the disc! Anyone know a way to get out or to get around this? As you can tell I'm no expert....

PS I used to run Leopard on this machine, I tried to boot directly from that disc but it didn't work either, the drive just spat it out. The slot was a little wony before but it wasn't rejecting everything,

HALP!

*This is a 2006 Intel CoreDuo iMac 17 inch model A1173

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

U only need one disk :)

Hi I had the same Imac as u was a very nice computer (sadly its graphics card diead and im saving up funds for a 27inch monster :D ). eny who if u do need Tiger (I Sugest just paying $30 or so to get a snowleapord disk from apple wich is the maxim OS ur comp will run without a CPU upgrade)' U only need one install disk the second install disk or restor disks if u wanna call em that just contains free and trail softwere wich is not mandortory. when u boot up to the DVD select ur HDD after that, just befor u preseed to the install there should be a costimise or optoins button click on that and untick every thing that u can then proceed with the install it will install with only the frist restor disk needed :D But i do Sujest upgrading to snowleapored so much better (Tiger is awsome tho lol) Well i hope that made sence to u i havent installed Tiger in a long time so its hard for me to rember but it should work for u, it worked for me :D (BTW sorry for the crappy spelling I cant spell for the life of me lol)

3. techGrid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks LighBulbFun! Actually I was running Leopard, but when everything went meshuggah i decided to revert to Tiger as I heard that could help. I did try to agai nto simply boot up from the Leopard disc but it just spits it out, and goes back to asking for the Tiger disc 2. Hoping I don't have to take it in to someone but maybe that's all I can do if the disc drive is broken?

4. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Hmmm I had a Power mac G4 like that refused DVD Rs :p i think ur Optical drive is failing I would still Sugest buying a 10.6 disk as 10.5 (leapourd) is quite outdated sadly (i still like it tho PPC seport FTW) Tiger is even more outdated :( get ur self a USB ODD or somthing like that so u can install snow leapord :) but regarding tiger i have installed it with only one Disk if my Imac was still working id do a YT vid for ya but my iMac now resides ins peaces since it failed im trying to figer out what to do with the parts :p eny one want a 17 inch imac screen :p LOL (im not one to chuck somthing away, with dead computers i pull em to bits and then keep the bits lol )