Stuck in DFU mode!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SuperSpacecadet, Sep 25, 2011.

1. SuperSpacecadet macrumors newbie

Just to let everyone know before we start that I have been Jailbreaking for years and I am very knowledgeable so you don't have to dumb up the answers for me. :)

I have run into a problem I have never experience before and have tried everything in my power to fix it. I'm stumped!!

I have an iPhone 3GS running ios 4.3.3 stuck in DFU mode. I can turn it on using a tethered boot but I'm trying to make the boot un-tethered. This started when my friend accidentally updated his phone to 4.3.5 and wiped off the jailbreak then did a tethered boot to get it back up and running.

I have tried the following...

Custom Firmware 4.3.3 instillation
    iREB RC4
    recboot
    tinyumbrella

None of these get the phone out of DFU mode and can fix the recovery. Even after I installed the custom firmware from scratch the phone goes back into DFU mode.

I know I'm missing something small and stupid here but I can't for the life of me figure it out. HEELLPP!

Thanks
    Jeremy

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Do you have shsh blobs for 4.3.3 if not you can't install it. Brcause apple is no longer signing 4.3.3 you will have to stick with 4.3.5

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Or you can go to 4.1 to have untethered jailbreak. Otherwise, you will have to stuck with 4.3.5 like Labman said and it will be a tethered jailbreak only.

4. SuperSpacecadet thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware I need shsh blobs to do a Custom Firmware upload. Can I not use the custom firmware without shsh blobs?

5. budgynana, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

budgynana macrumors member

shsh blobs are needed in some form for EVERY restore, no exceptions.

If you go to the current firmware issued by Apple they can provide it for you there and then during the update/restore, but if you want to go to anything older then you will need to have these saved yourself.

If you don't have any saved then you're SOOL, sorry.

About custom firmware... if you use the latest redsn0w you can bake your shsh blob into your custom firmware so you don't need it saved seperately... but you still need the shsh blob and the firmware will only work on the device that the shsh blob belongs to.

6. SuperSpacecadet thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention that this phone has the iPad baseband installed on it.

Okay, well I figured 4.1 was better than tethered so I did the 4.1 restore in itunes. Got error 1015, went and ran redsn0w RC16 on it to install cydia and WALA!! BACK INTO DFU MODE! GRRRRRR!! What am I missing?

----------

Forgot to mention one thing, out of desperation I decided to just hit the update button in itunes since nothing else was working. I figured I would just start over! When the upload is complete and itunes says the phone has been restored to factory settings, it goes back into DFU mode, again!

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Fix 1015 error first with tiny umbrella, the jailbreak it.

----------

For some reason, Apple is still signing 4.1 for 3GS. So, you don't need SHSH blobs to downgrade to this firmware.

8. SuperSpacecadet thread starter macrumors newbie

Tinyumbrella doesnt give me the fix recovery option in DFU mode..........

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

When you see 1015 error. Close ITunes, open tiny umbrella, hit exit recovery. Your phone will boot up normally and will bring your phone to emergency call screen.

10. SuperSpacecadet, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

SuperSpacecadet thread starter macrumors newbie

(Amended) Sorry didn't realize you said exit recover instead of fix recovery. You were correct it worked, thank you. Although now for some reason I cannot connect to wifi to get cydia up and running, AND the battery mysteriously went from full to dead, lol. OMG!

Crystal I have tried this already, after the install from itunes it just goes back into dfu mode. thats all it ever does, tinyumbrella cannot run fixrecovery for a phone in DFU mode, can it?

11. SuperSpacecadet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys, and girls... Got it working on 4.1, I was not aware that 4.1 was now signed so thanks for that, I could have saved 20 hours if someone had told me that before, lol. One last question, cydia is saying "unable to load, the certificat for this server is invalid) I can't remember what that means? Should I just reinstall cydia?

Look before i ask...I know. Wrong date and time, nevermind. Thread Closed.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sorry that we are not all Jedi mind readers. since that wasn't what you asked for. However google is very effective search tool and easy to use. ;)