Stuck in iTunes hell!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SweetSoulSound, Nov 26, 2008.

1. SweetSoulSound macrumors newbie

Hi, Everyone-

Here's the deal:

I just bought this used PowerBook G4. It's practically brand new, right out of the box, newly installed OS, etc.

I connected my iPod to the PowerBook and wanted to transfer some songs from it to the computer. The iPod mounted just fine and iTunes launched without a hitch. I then clicked on the iPod's icon to see its songs and play them with the computer. iTunes then asked me for my password to authorise this new computer of mine to play the songs on my iPod. I entered my password and iTunes took me to a page with an "Upgrade to the latest version of iTunes" button and no way to bypass or ignore it.

That's where the problem is: the latest version of iTunes only runs on OS X 10.4.9 or later, and I have 10.4.2!!! I just want to authorise my new computer to play my songs and copy my frickin' songs onto my new computer, NOT upgrade to a newer version of iTunes!!!

So what do I do? Please help!!!

Thanks to everyone for any advice, instructions, and suggestions you can provide.

PowerBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.2)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

So what's the problem with running Software Update and installing all the updates?

3. SweetSoulSound thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Eidorian-

Thanks for replying. Am I wrong in thinking that I can't update to the latest version of iTunes because that version won't run on OS X 10.4.2? So whatever upgrades/updates you're talking about, I don't understand what I can do without upgrading my OS, right?.

I'm sure you know way more about this stuff than me, so my question may seem silly to you. I hope you'll realise that your help is very much appreciated.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just run Software Update and it'll take care of iTunes updates as well.

5. SweetSoulSound thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'm trying that now. I'll post again if I still have problems.

6. SweetSoulSound thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again, Eidorian-

I just wanted to let you know that it took some time, but your solution worked. I had to go back to "Software Updates" three times and spend a lot of time downloading stuff, but, after all is said and done, my iPod and iTunes are working together perfectly.

Thanks very much for you help!!!