Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Hello all,
I'm new to the forums & new to iphone world.

Device: iphone 3GS. Firmware: 4.2.1
Problem: Done reset content/data- now stuck in recovery screen with itune logo & usb cable'

I bought used iphone & thought to reset all data & upgrade the software.
Since I want to make a fresh start & dont want previous owners records I reset it.
Once I reset all content & data, I was stuck in blank screen with apple logo (& danger/ghost-skeloton-like logo) It appears that its a jailbroken iphone.

After reading loads of stuff online (& MacRumors forums of course) I could bring it in recovery mode. & now in itunes I only can see summary tab & name & firmware details all wipe-out. except serial no.
Still in recovery mode: itunes suggested to restore & upgrade (which is what I want to do) but it failed to restore, I sometimes get error 1055 or 3194.
I tried tiny-umbrella to get out of recovery mode.
But as I said there's no saved records either. Also tiny umbrella could not recognise device serial no. or name.
I know it's jailbreak so... yeah shoot me.
but is the any workaround? How can I restore or install and make it functional?
Would downloading ipsw/firmware files from apple help?
I dont mind wiping /formating all data as there's nothing mine saved. wanna make a fresh start.
Also I dont mind getting out of jailbreak version.. In fact it would be great if I could cleanse iphone & come out clean.

Please help me out!
I read lot of similar discussions here.
Thank you.
PS: Earlier I had opened similar thread in troubleshoot section. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1210880/ apologies.

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
That's what happens when you hit erase all on a JB iphone.
Now the only option is to restore it.
Try putting it in DFU mode.
I see itunes & usb cable logo on screen.
Is that DFU mode?
Did you mean 'restore & upgrade' from itunes? I tried that but no success. :(

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
After installing (taking 5/6 mins) error 1015 came. "The iphone 'name' could not be restored unknown error" no success :(
Yes, thanks I did that yesterday's error were 1055 & 3194. (both errors are related to jailbreak)

Will this help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2L8U8p5_TI ?
Is it because I was trying to upgrade it to 4.3.5?
I was pointing for 4.3.5 firmware (which is upgrade) should I get 4.2.1 firmware & restore instead?
Thank you.

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
You didnt have the ipad baseband installed in order to unlock did ya?

I've no idea at all. I bought the iphone just couple of days ago & didnt get much chance to use it. But it was jailbroken & maybe unlocked phone so it could be ... after reading this thread http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110604111130AAnB0ih in maps on iphone, I remember my Geo-location was showing 50kms south from where I was. so there maybe case the my GPS was screwed up.

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
I downloaded 3 firmware 4.2.1 4.3.1 & 4.3.5 from apple & tried to restore using itunes..
none of it could restore successfully error 3194 comes.
Also I noticed sometimes itunes shows no info of iphone (not even serial no.) & other times it shows serial no. but not other stuff such as firmware ver. etc.

waiting for experts to jump-in & of course applejuiced
thanks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sounds like you have the ipad BB and that's why you can never restore to any stock firmware.
Find out if you have shsh blobs and for what firmware versions and then you will have to create a custom IPSW and restore to that by entering pwned DFU mode etc...

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Sounds like you have the ipad BB and that's why you can never restore to any stock firmware.
Find out if you have shsh blobs and for what firmware versions and then you will have to create a custom IPSW and restore to that by entering pwned DFU mode etc...
So there's is way out. :)

I just downloaded custom firmware from megaupload http://www.google.co.in/search?cx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=megaupload.com/?d=6JVZF92E looks good +ve outcomes for people on forums.
I was waiting for your reply before I try restoring it.
What you want me to do?
Appreciate your help sir,
THanks.

When I open tiny umbrellla I dont see any shsh saved data, so i guess I dont have any. (or is there a method to find out ?)

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
So there's is way out. :)
When I open tiny umbrellla I dont see any shsh saved data, so i guess I dont have any. (or is there a method to find out ?)

Unfortunately, if TinyUmbrella does not show any SHSH blobs for the iDevice, than it obviously does not have any. That is usually a way to show if the iDevice has SHSH blobs available. Usually, Cydia shows the SHSH blobs available for the device. However, as there is no OS, and seeing as you are getting 3194 (means that you are downgrading your firmware without SHSH blobs), it seems like your stuck.

Have you tried this? http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/09/recover-iphone-3gs-from-apple-logo-or-recovery-mode-loop/

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
If the iphone is in restore mode tinyumbrella wont be able to pull or display its available shsh blobs.
I'd suggest running redsnow and putting your iphone in "pwned" dfu mode and then try to restore to a few custom ipsw's and see if it lets you.
Try 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3.3 etc..
Follow this guide and when you get to step 11 select "just enter pwned dfu mode" and after you do that open itunes and hold down shift and click restore and select the custom ipsw you downloaded above.

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
If the iphone is in restore mode tinyumbrella wont be able to pull or display its available shsh blobs.
I'd suggest running redsnow and putting your iphone in "pwned" dfu mode and then try to restore to a few custom ipsw's and see if it lets you.
Try 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3.3 etc..
Follow this guide and when you get to step 11 select "just enter pwned dfu mode" and after you do that open itunes and hold down shift and click restore and select the custom ipsw you downloaded above.
I'm downloading redsn0w for win7 https://assets.nspwn.com/r/redsn0w/redsn0w_win_0.9.6b4.zip is it a correct link? source: http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/23/redsn0w-0-9-6b4-download/
Also for custom firmware, how about one I mentioned in post#12?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'm downloading redsn0w for win7 https://assets.nspwn.com/r/redsn0w/redsn0w_win_0.9.6b4.zip is it a correct link? source: http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/23/redsn0w-0-9-6b4-download/
Also for custom firmware, how about one I mentioned in post#12?

Yes, any redsnow version that will put your iphone in pwned DFU will do.
And yes the custom 4.2.1 will be fine.
In order to try other versions of custom ipsw's incase it dont let you install 4.2.1 you will have to put your iphone in pwned dfu each time before you go on to install the JB firmware.

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
iphone cannot be restored because unknown error 3194 :(

At redsn0w I entered in pwnDFU mode & opened itunes his Shift+restore button & selected custom firmware. I got above error.
Unsuccessful.

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
In order to try other versions of custom ipsw's incase it dont let you install 4.2.1 you will have to put your iphone in pwned dfu each time before you go on to install the JB firmware.
Does that mean I need to have apple's firmware copy as well as custom firmware of multiple versions to try?
What I realised (correct me if I'm wrong,) redsn0w asks me to browse correct firmware=this is official firmware corresponding to my version (4.2.1)
and when I'm ready with pwned dfu in itunes I am suppose to flash custom firmware of 4.2.1.
(Which I did & encountered 3194 error)

At redsn0w I browse 4.3.5 ipsw & 4.3.1 ipsw both are not accpeted by it. only 4.2.1 passed. (also i dont hv custom ipsw for other 4.3.x versions)

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
what is tethered jailbreak in redsn0w?
should I go for it after unsuccessful attempt to flash via itunes?

Or re-installing itunes help?
or maybe contacting the seller, he might have some backup data... is there any way we can use that?

Last edited:

iApache

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
^ You want untethered. Tethered JB means that if your phone dies or if you reboot it, the only way to turn it back on is to plug it to the comp and run redsn0w.

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
^ You want untethered. Tethered JB means that if your phone dies or if you reboot it, the only way to turn it back on is to plug it to the comp and run redsn0w.
Well, my iphone is not running it's stuck in restore mode.
Ever since I press reset all data & content in settings all I could see is apple's logo & greenpois0w logo (that skeleton logo I talked in post#1).
Then I followed procedure for recovery mode & now I see itunes & usb logo.
tried to load/restore firmware via itunes. no use.
Error 3194.

My question is can I go for 5th option: 'just boot tethered right now' ?

reading on internet it looks like tethered jb is bad option & everytime i need to reboot I'll hv to do particular procedure boot tethered..

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Well, my iphone is not running it's stuck in restore mode.
Ever since I press reset all data & content in settings all I could see is apple's logo & greenpois0w logo (that skeleton logo I talked in post#1).
Then I followed procedure for recovery mode & now I see itunes & usb logo.
tried to load/restore firmware via itunes. no use.
Error 3194.

My question is can I go for 5th option: 'just boot tethered right now' ?

reading on internet it looks like tethered jb is bad option & everytime i need to reboot I'll hv to do particular procedure boot tethered..

No, you cant do option 5. It wont work after you did an erase all.
And yes you also have to download the official ipsw to point redsnow to.

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
No, you cant do option 5. It wont work after you did an erase all.
And yes you also have to download the official ipsw to point redsnow to.

I have
4.2.1 -ok
4.3.1 -x
4.3.5 -x
among above only 4.2.1 accepted by redsn0w. (browse-at 1st step)
Should I get later 4.2.1 versions or earlier versions?

feeswasted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Thank you for all your support and replies, people! But I'm bit tired of doing this all by myself.
Do you think it's repairable?
I am thinking of sending it to store where maintenance guys can check it. Do you think I stand a chance?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.