Stuck in recovery mode HELP =-(

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by OnNightfall, Dec 1, 2010.

1. OnNightfall macrumors regular

Hey guys, my brother has an iphone 3G, he had 3.1.3 jailbroken and unlocked with T-Mobile and everything was working perfect. He upgraded to 4.2 or 4.2.1 using itunes, then jailbroke using redsnow beta 5 with the ipad firmware 06.15.00 and unlocked with ultrasn0w. And he got that to work fine but the next day he could receive phone calls but not make them. He uninstalled ultrasn0w and reinstalled it and nothing. Finally he wanted a working phone so he tried to Restore his iphone with itunes and now hes stuck in recovery mode (itunes error 1015). I am trying to help him here. I know little about RecBoot and Tiny Umbrella. How can I help him? Can I get him back to 3.1.3 with Tiny Umbrella? Did you even get the option to save SHSH blobs when you were at 3.1.3? Or can I get him to 4.1 even though he was never on 4.1? I just want to get him working, I don't care what firmware but now that hes on 4.2.1 with baseband 06.15.00 stuck in recovery mode I don't know what to do. I would appreciate your help greatly!!! =-(

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

With the iPad baseband on the iPhone there's no way a clean Restore will ever work on this phone again. Ever. Never.

If you need to restore it you need to restore it with a Custom IPSW. If you google for it I know you'll eventually find one for the 3G that fits the bill

3. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

Can I make my own custom IPSW? If I can't where can I get one? Also, if I find one to download, can it be any firmware? If you could give me a little bit more information I would really appreciate it. I'm pretty tech savy but I'm new to this stuff.

4. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Yes but of course. PwnageTool 4.1.3 on OS X will allow you to create the firmware you need for the 3G. On Windows we have Sn0wbreeze but I aint too sure this is likely to be out any time soon, iH8sn0w has bee very quiet. Try it with 4.0, should work alright unless you have access to OS X/PwnageTool (much more stable than Sn0wbreeze)

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/5994102/PwnageTool_4.1.3_Unlock_Edition.dmg.5994102.TPB.torrent

Whether his 3G can be restored using SHSH blobs or not I don't know, I believe blobs were only introduced with fw 4.0 on the 3G - I mentally abandoned the 3G over a year ago :rolleyes:

5. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

First of all thank you for helping me with this, and I hope this helps another poor soul out there. With your information I could make a custom IPSW for my brother on my MAC. Now, is this the proper instructions once I make the custom IPSW

1.open redsnow latest version

2.browse file 4.2.1 3g original firmware

3.select only this option ( just enter pwned DFU mode right now)

4.then flash with custom firmware

5.after finish flash Do redsnow jailbreak procedure

?

Also, when doing the custom IPSW with PwnageTool 4.1.3 anything special I need to know? Thanks a lot bro. You are saving me big time.

6. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I had this, being stuck in a recovery loop, yesterday. I tried all the tricks and programs on the web but it wouldn't come back out of it

I got it out in the end by using another computer (MacBook) and using the Redsn0w beta with iOS 4.1. I'd tried it previously with the 4.2.1 iOS (the version used to jailbreak it) but that didn't work for me.

I'm not guaranteeing that this will work for you...but for me it did. Above all don't panic, you'll get it back.

7. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Once you've created the Custom IPSW just press Option on yr keyboard while clicking Restore in iTunes. Browse to the IPSW you just created and let it Restore

Cross your fingers and wait...=)

8. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, so I don't have to do that stuff above. Just create the custom firmware with PwnageTool 4.1.3 and then Shift Restore with iTunes. This sounds so easy. I hope it works =-\ Last question really is, I could use any firmware to try this on? try 4.1.2 again and if that dosnt work try 4.1 or 4.0?

9. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Doing it with 4.2.1 should definitely work, doing it w/ any firmware prior to that would probably need to include you editing the HOSTS-file

10. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

Alright so to make my life easier I'm just going to create the custom firmware and Shift Restore in iTunes to apply it. Wish me luck, I will report back later today in evening. Thank you so much "WhatAmI"

11. cleop macrumors newbie

i have the same problem

I created a custom ipsw 4.1 and tried to restore got error 1015
    downloaded tinyumbrella but where it says exit from recovery its faded so i cant click on it, please can you help me out?Anyone who knows how to do this?am stuck here!

12. cleop macrumors newbie

whatami

What ami, when i do shift restore i restore the phone to the ipsw i just created right?when i do that it tells me the phone is not eligible , and when instead of doing that i just choose the 4.2 it gives me error 1015,
    what can i do?
    Please helo

13. WhatAmI, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

eherm, did you really connect yr iPhone to the 'puter w/ TU? Does it show up in the list of connected devices and have you selected it? Are your sure you're in Recovery Mode?
    [​IMG]

I would redownload TU and try again (another thing that has resolved this for others is to dl an earlier version of TU)

14. cleop, Dec 1, 2010

cleop macrumors newbie

i downloaded again iTunes, put the phone into DFU mode, shift restore to the 4.1 i created and i get the iphone software server is temporarily unavailable

then i tried something else instead of using the 4.1 i created i shift restored to the 4.2 i downloaded (cause i didnt find anywhere psw 4.2) it loads till the middle , and then i get error 1015, cant use tinyumbrella because the exit recovery is faded!!

and something else i tried with redsnow to do the boot only and choose 4.2 it runs and i get a kind of pineapple thing on my phone screen but then it goes back to the itunes logo!

now what else can i do?

15. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

What baseband are you on?
    What was the last working firmware version?

I thought I said to re-download Tiny Umbrella and not iTunes, you are trying every trick in the book but too fast and without thinking first =)

16. cleop macrumors newbie

I am sorry i am kinda frustrated with this whole thing, so i re downloaded the TU and i could click on exit recovery but still it comes back to the itunes logo.
    I have the Ipad baseband 6.15 something ,
    it was working on the 4.2!
    Thanks for the help though! I appreciate

17. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

3GS? New or old bootrom? Anyhow, since you have the iPad baseband you'll never ever be able to restore your iPhone to anything else but a Custom firmware. With Custom fw I mean one built using PwnageTool (or Sn0wbreeze if that ever becomes available for fw 4.2 that is)

As it is now, you'll never get out Recovery mode. Feed a an appropriate Custom fw to your iPhone using Shift/Option + Restore in iTunes and you should be back on track again

18. cleop macrumors newbie

WhatAmI i was able to create a custom fw but 4.1 not 4.2, and whenever i do option restore , it gives me the not available answer, is there anyway i can create a custom fw for 4.2?
    or you meant as for now my phone will never get out of the recovery mode at all regardless of anything that can be done??

19. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

You'll be able to get out of Recovery mode fine, as long as you update your iPhone (still don't know what model/bootrom it is...) with the right IPSW.

Read this and this blog post post several times. I'd like to stress this though - don't do anything unless you feel you know what you do. Ask Ask Ask but only after you've read those links

20. cleop, Dec 1, 2010

cleop macrumors newbie

I totally understand what you mean.
    It is new bootrom and 3gs.
    now am going to take it slow and listen to what you are going to say!

i was unable to find a way to create 4.2.1 ipsw!!and i think i need that !

21. cleop macrumors newbie

Billbob how did you get out of the recovery mode?i have been in there since yesterday and its frustrating!!

thank you

22. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

I made a custom firmware with PwnageTool 4.1.3 using firmware 4.2.1 and no luck, now I'm getting itunes error 1604, arg, I'm so frustrated.

23. cleop, Dec 1, 2010

cleop macrumors newbie

onnight fall where you able to get out of the recovery mode?
    Am sorry to be asking all of you guys but this is upsetting and i need my phone back!!

am sorry i just realized it didnt work out for you, if you ever find a solution please post it here and if i get something i will as well!
    THank you

24. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

I have the exact same problem as you right now. 4.2.1 06.15.00 3gs new bootrom stuck in recovery mode. This is lame, I guess we have to wait till pwnage tool gets updated.

25. cleop, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

cleop macrumors newbie

PAHtSan and onnightfall my iphone just started working and here are the steps:

1. open redsnow, choose 4.2.1 original firmware, click put into DFU mode, wait till the process is done
    2. open iTunes option/shift restore choose the 4.2.1 custom firmware( someone send me this via email i can email it to you ,just PM me your emails)it will restore your phone, at first it will show you emergency call only, leave it like that it will take like a minute and then you will have the normal screen.

I hope it will work for you guys!!