Stuck in Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mp3car, Jul 6, 2011.

1. mp3car macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have a 3GS running 4.3.3, jailbroken with redsnow.

I synced it using itunes, no problems. Later that day, the battery died completely. Upon recharging, it was stuck on the "slide for emergency" screen and rebooting every few minutes on its own. I tried to do a restore with itunes, now it appears to be stuck in recovery mode. Restoring "automatically" or the "shift-restore" and choosing the ipsw file doesn't seem to work. Gets most the way through (the white progress bar under the apple logo on the phone) and what appears to be right at the end of the process, i get an error on itunes, error 1002.

Trying with redsnow, it appears to get nearly all the way through as well. The "pineapple" logo comes up on the phone, stating its installing the packages, the blue progress bar, but all the way at the end when it appears to just about be finished, it reboots but is then back stuck on the connect to usb/itunes screen.

Anyone have any suggestions???

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Put it in DFU mode and restore to a stock 4.3.3 if you aren't on the 6.15 baseband. If you are, use Sn0wbreeze (Win) or pwnagetool (Mac) to create a custom 4.3.3 IPSW and restore to it with iTunes after one of the programs puts your phone in "pwned" DFU mode.

3. mp3car thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean by downloading the apple 4.3.3 ipsw file, then using iTunes and do a shift+restore and select the file? If so, I've tried and the proess appears to start, the phone switches to the apple logo with a white status bar under it, bit at about 98%, iTunes pops up with an error, 1002.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Try restoring on a different computer? And try restoring by just pressing restore and not "shift + restore", and restoring normally with iTunes.

5. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

I suggest using recboot to kick yourself out of recovery mode, if your still going into it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMNsANPs5bo&feature=related

Then, restore to official iOS 4.3.3 firmware. Instead of shift+restore, just restore, and everything should go fine. After restore and activation, go to safari and go to jailbreakme.com for jailbreak. After this process, you should be jailbroken again. :D

By the way, error 1002 is when you are trying to restore without DFU mode...

6. mp3car thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll try recboot... I tried a different computer with a fresh install of itunes, still didn't work. I tried tinyumbrella, which I think saw the phone in recovery mode, and when i hit exit recovery, the phone appeared to reboot, but it just went right back into recovery mode.

I say "I think" tinyumbrella saw the phone successfully because it didn't have all the phone information at the bottom of the screen, it only had the ECID number, which was a pretty short number compared to the number that is on a screenshot of the t.u. My ECID was only like 8 or 10 digit decimal number. Also, the "name" of the phone didn't show up on the device listing on the left, just a number... (This isn't a screenshot of mine, it's just a generic one http://www.blogsdna.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/TinyUmbrella-4.21.03.png)

7. mp3car thread starter macrumors newbie

no luck with recboot... it tells me, "no device in recover mode found" and the RecBoot.txt file shows "RecBoot @ 7:41:24 PM -> connect - fail"

But, when I hit "exit recovery mode" the phone does reboot... black screen for a second, USB "disconnect ding" from windows, apple logo appears for about a minute, then black screen just for a second again, apple logo appearing for about 40 seconds, then USB "connect ding" from windows, and phone is back in recovery mode.

8. mp3car thread starter macrumors newbie

Update...

If I run redsnow, and choose "Just boot tethered right now" and follow the process and put it in DFU, then It will get to the "slide for emergency" screen, which i can slide to access the keypad, but that's it. If I then run itunes, it will say, "waiting for iphone..." Then itunes will come up and say no SIM (even though there is a working SIM installed, works fine on another iphone). Also, it doesn't stay in restore more indefinitely any more, now it reboots on it's own occasionally (doesn't seem to be a pattern), but always goes back to recovery.

Another note, on the "slide for emergency" screen, it constantly shows "searching" for the signal bars and carrier (AT&T) name. If I hit the "i" button, my IMEI is "unknown" as is my ICCID. I'm guessing this is a bad sign, but I did find this thread, which may shine some light on it, but i haven't had a chance to review all 25 pages of the thread yet http://www.hackint0s.../f136/13255.htm

Also, how common is it that excessive heat, like being left in a hot car, kills iPhones??? I know it can cause them to throw a "warning" but is it known to kill them? I first was thinking I only left it in my car from about 7pm until the next morning, but it may have been more like 2pm... and I was last using it to stream pandora, and then the audio was being sent over BT... (thus it remained doing so until the battery ran down) so if that's the case, it was under a pretty heavy thermal load on it's own, streaming and using BT, and then the 100F ambient temperature outside the car pushing the car's inside temp to 120-140! I really hope it didn't get cooked, but I am an EE, and the more i think about it, that's what I'm suspecting... perhaps the reason it's failing is b/c maybe the phone/itunes does a H/W check after it completes the OS install but before it reboots, and since i have read that a 1002 error is "hardware" (something a little more specific than "hardware" would be nice), maybe something truly is failed???