Stuck in Recovery Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jschlis, Dec 28, 2011.

1. jschlis macrumors newbie

I know there are many threads and posts about this. I have been searching google all day and can't resolve the issue. I was on 4.2.6 and jailbroken. Went to upgrade to 5.0.1 and was then going to jb. All seemed to be going well as I watched the update. At the end of the update got a message saying the update didn't complete and now I am stuck in recovery mode (not dfu). I tunes does not recognize the device and I have tried but can not get it in dfu mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Put it into dfu mode and restore. Your device does not need to be off in order to start the process. You can start it while it is in recovery mode by holding the power & home button until the screen is black. Keep holding it for about 2 - 3 more seconds, then let go power button while holding home button until your computer recognize it. That is when your phone is in DFU mode.

3. jschlis thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to get it in dfu mode and it was extracting the software, it is just stuck in "preparing the iphone for restoration". Now I get error code 1601.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Check your hosts file and tiny umbrella to make sure they point to Apple server and not Cydia.

5. jschlis thread starter macrumors newbie

Have tiny umbrella installed at home. will try in a few hours.

----------

Not sure how to check the host files. Should have just left it on 4.2.6.

6. jschlis thread starter macrumors newbie

All good. Thanks for the help. It seems it was an itunes issue. Hooked up to itunes at home and update work, then jb'ed with redsnow.