Stuck in recovery mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by courtney-louise, Jul 11, 2010.

1. courtney-louise macrumors newbie

ok so i had an iPod touch 2 years ago. it worked amazing until last week. :( i was tempted to contact apple and ask why it messed up but all they will suggest is to buy a new one when i know i don't really need to.
    every time i turn on my ipod the sign to show that i should connect my ipod to itunes. so i did. then a pop up said that my ipod is in recovery mode (whatever that means) and that i had to restore it before i could use it with itunes. so i clicked restore, then an unknown error message poped up and said that it was error 21. i looked it up on the apple website looking for some answers. i couldn't find any, so i searched it on google to find out that you can hack iphones but it didnt say about ipod. could i hack my iipod to get it to work again?!
    please help!
    :apple:
    courtney-louise <3

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Google "iPhone DFU" and follow instructions to put your iPod into DFU mode, then restore. The process is same for iPhone and iPod touch. It may take a few tries to get into DFU, just be patient and keep trying. Good luck!

3. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Darn, thats what i was going to say. :(

4. jlgilbert macrumors newbie

Recovery Mode!

I have a iPod Touch 2g and just downloaded iOS 4.0 software, but it wasn't a positive upgrade so I tried to downgrade and it got stuck in Recovery Mode. iTunes says to Restore, but after downloading the software again, it says it isn't eligable for Restore. Please help! Can't get it out. I tried the button tricks and several programs, but nothing will work! Thanks!

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Try to download to 3.1.3 from here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

6. devils punchbow macrumors member

7. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Sorry i meant 3.1.2

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you save your SHSH? If you are saying "huh? What's that?" I'm sorry, but there's no way to downgrade. Apple started not allowing people to downgrade, I think around the time 3.0 came out. There's a workaround for that, but you have to save your SHSH BEFORE you upgrade. :(

9. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

SHSH?

10. markojug macrumors regular

iPod touches don't need to save the SHSH's after they jailbreak. Only for the iPhone and iPad. Just restore to the 3.1.2 IPSW file and everything will be fine because Apple has stopped allowing upgrades and restores to 3.1.3 for some reason.

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Hmmmmmm... No wonder the 3.1.3 file on felixbruns.com doesnt work.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do you have a link to where you heard that? I don't know of any reason why the touch would be different from the iPhone and iPad in terms of how the OS installs.

13. markojug macrumors regular

Sorry, only 3rd Gen iPod touches need SHSH blobs saved. 2G and 1G can downgrade right from clicking restore.

14. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Im so confused.... :eek: