Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
hi,

I have a 3GS with V3 software and jailbroken.

today, I turned it on and received the safemode error. I tried a respring..no effect, still in safemode, a reboot, even a reset of the general settings...nothing seems to clear the error.

Nothing new has been added, no new apps or updates (which is odd)
so, it looks like a restore is the only way to go...but, itunes wants to upgrade my firmware, which I don't want to do (I do have a file on store with cydia)

so, is there a way to restore without upgrading, or..if I upgrade can I still perform the jailbreak? ( I bought the phone new and jailbroken so someone had already done the hard work but I understnad that it's not difficult as long as you follow the steps correctly)

any advice would be really appreciated. I'm screwed without my phone

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
yup. tried that and sadly, the result was the same. as soon as the phone powered up, the screen of death again.

thanks for replying though. any other ideas?

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
Hi,

itunes syncs as normal, as if there is nothing wrong with the phone, no error messages there.

I even did a restore from a back up (but then noticed that this was only messages and settings and not software).

DPA

macrumors 65816
When you restored it cleared the jailbreak and any other non-stock features you had installed. Now you should be fine, correct? If you would like, you could jailbreak again but you will have to manually reinstall everything as backups do not include jailbroken apps nor settings, unless you installed an app that does backup your jailbreak data.

DPA

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
hi,

it was only a restore from back up I did, so according to the message I got when restoring, it only restored contacts, calendar, messages etc...no firmware or software.

so it wasn't a complete restore.

I'm nervoud about doing a complete restore becuase it wants to upgrade the firmware..which isn't the end of the world as long as I can jailbreak the s/w version that get's put in the phone. (admittedly I'm a little nervous about doing this but as long as the instructions are clear, I can manage)

I don't have too many apps (maybe 10 or 12) so I don't mind doing these manually, but I do need the jailbreak.

thanks again

DPA

macrumors 65816
You will still be able to restore from a backup and re-jailbreak once you do a full restore. The steps of jailbreaking have probably gotten even easier than when you did it. I recommend using Blackra1n which is the easiest jailbreak method I know of. You simply click your OS and follow the steps. If you have any questions you can post them in this thread or start a new one solely for the jailbreak process here.

DPA

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
excellent,

so just to confirm, I can use blackrain to unock my phone even though I've had to upgrade to the latest software version?

thanks

DPA

macrumors 65816
Since Blackra1n is a IPT3 jailbreak it is a tether jailbreak, you will have to run Blackra1n (a computer app for Mac and Windows) to boot the device. Otherwise, if you are not connected to the computer with Blackra1n running your device will not boot. This only applies to the iPod Touch third generation (the only iPod that Blackra1n can jailbreak), not with the iPhones.

Please realize that Blackra1n will NOT unlock your device only jailbreak it. If you would like to unlock it, then you can use Blacksn0w (by the same developer) to do so. I figured you only wanted to jailbreak because you didn't mention anything about an unlock in this thread. If you have further questions about unlocking, feel free to ask them here.

DPA

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
thanks again, I'm on o2 so don't need an unlocked phone.

so, my plan is to follow some instructions I saw somewhere to jail break using blackra1n...which I believe starts with me having a phone that has been returned to factory settings (via the restore/upgrade process in itunes, which will install v3.1.2 on my iphone)

wish me luck!!

DPA

macrumors 65816
thanks again, I'm on o2 so don't need an unlocked phone.

so, my plan is to follow some instructions I saw somewhere to jail break using blackra1n...which I believe starts with me having a phone that has been returned to factory settings (via the restore/upgrade process in itunes, which will install v3.1.2 on my iphone)

wish me luck!!

Your plan sounds good to me. I don't think you need to return all your settings to factory but if you want to you can. You should be able to retain those settings via backup after the jailbreak though.

Good luck!:)

DPA

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
oh my god..thank you!!

it was easy..and worked perfectly!!

no errors, I just clicked a few buttons and my iphone is back!!

Thank you for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.