Stuck in silent mode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DaREdBaRoN, Sep 20, 2009.

1. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

Ok so I've had my 3G for just over a year and never bought Apple Care. Today I realized that the phone was in silent mode, even though the switch was set to ring. The physical switch works fine, but the phone will not recognize the change. I have restored it but that didn't fix it.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how'd you fix it?
    Thanks in advance

2. kcjason macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me a couple of times with my first gen iPhone. Turns out there was some dirt or lint in the headphone jack that made the phone think headphones were plugged in. When you play the iPod, do you hear sound out of the speakers?

The Apple Store has a special attachment on an air can that can clean out the jack. I also found that getting a pair of headphones and plugging them in and out several times also does the trick.

Good luck!

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

He is talking about the vibrate switch i think. Not the headphone jack. It sounds like you might need to replace the switch. I think you can order them online for a decent price.

4. roobieroo macrumors newbie

I had the same problem on my iPhone 3G. It was stuck in vibrate mode and toggling the switch did nothing. I found a take apart video on youtube and used a suction cup to pull the screen off. I then blew the area near the switch with canned air and dislodged a small piece of lint or dust that must have been blocking the connection. The switch barely moves up and down so it doesn't take much to keep it from working. I closed the phone back up and it now works great.