stuck in surgery, clamshell HD transplant gone wrong

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by coneman5259, Jun 26, 2008.

1. coneman5259 macrumors member

coneman5259

So I have a lime green clamshell. And I have a iBook g4 with a bad logic board. I got bored today and swapped out the harddrives. I was really convinced this would work. However just the Mac OS 9 screen comes up with the mac and then the question mark like it's not recognizing the drive. I switched to target mode and hooked it up to the iMac g4 and everything that was on my g4 iBook was there. So everything is hooked up, just not working. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

You can't just boot that newer drive in the older machine. The OS installation on the hdd does not have the drivers for the clamshell ibook. You have to do a clean install.

3. coneman5259 thread starter macrumors member

coneman5259

so is there anyway to wipe the harddrive in the clamshell then install panther on it? I really don't want to tear it apart again and then upgrade it in steps.

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

5. coneman5259 thread starter macrumors member

coneman5259

I have panther install disks, but there on DVDs. can I upgrade from 9.2 to 10.3? Given I find a way for it to play dvds.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Don't you need a hack to install anything newer than 10.2 on a clamshell? Sure wish I could remember what it was...