Stuck in Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Xidious, May 7, 2011.

1. Xidious macrumors newbie

Hey guys I need help I don't really know much about computers and my mac is stuck in windows now after trying to use bootcamp I cant get back to my mac.

I used a partition called something like Partition:Boot not exactly sure what it was called. (Ialso accidentlty deleted another partition can't remember the name of it..

Anyways now i'm stuck in windows vista and I cant figure out how to get back to my Mac stuff plz help im not too good with computers.. :(

2. Malcolm., May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

Malcolm. macrumors member

Malcolm.

Sounds like you erased/deleted/overwrote your OS X partition. Boot from the OS X DVD and check your partitions in Disk Utility to see what's going on. I see a reinstall in your near future.

3. Xidious thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't get the windows vista cd out of my mac the eject button wont work I also tried using alt/option on start up screen and it wont do anything either.

4. bluskale macrumors regular

what happens when you hold down option at start up? you get icons with the choice for booting into a windows partion, at least?

if you have a wired, usb mouse, you can try holding the left mouse button on reboot to eject disks. Alternatively, hold down the eject key (or f12 if you don't have an eject key) during reboot.

for all of these, press the buttons right after you hear the startup chime.

5. rthpjm macrumors 6502

rthpjm

You need to install the Apple driver set in Windows

Hi,

Whenever you install a version of Windows for use in Boot Camp, you should always install the Apple drivers. This will make sure all the features of your Mac have their equivalent in Windows. Apple provide drivers for many parts of the hardware, including graphics, sound, network, Bluetooth, keyboard, mouse, and more. The installer also adds a keyboard profile which helps immensely (the quotation mark and slash keys come to mind), and finally adds a control panel for Boot Camp together with an Apple Software Update application.

To install, find your copy of MacOSX on DVD. Insert this whilst in Windows, if auto run is enabled the installer will start, otherwise open the disk in Windows Explorer and run the setup.exe.

Even without installing drivers you should be able to emulate the mouse right-click, hold down the Control [cntl] key whilst clicking with the mouse. To eject a removable disk, cntl-click on it's icon, you should get the contextual menu pop up, select eject.

If all else fails follow the advice of bluskale...

6. rthpjm macrumors 6502

rthpjm

Did you overwrite MacOSX?

Hi Xidious,

If you're worried that you have accidentally overwritten your MacOSX partition, you might be in trouble. You may need to re-install MacOSX as Malcolm mentioned. You say you are new to the Mac, does this mean that you have only just started using your Mac? Hopefully this means you don't have a large amount of personal data to lose...

First, you need to confirm if you have destroyed your MacOSX partition or not. The easiest way of doing this is to follow bluskale's advice, reboot and immediately after hearing the boot chime, hold down (just) the Alt key. The Mac should temporarily display some partition startup choices, usually the first one listed would be MacOSX, then Windows (your Boot Camp), and if there's a bootable CD/DVD in the drive that'll show too. Use the mouse to select the partition you want to boot (or use the arrow keys to select and press Enter/Return to activate).

If you get to the boot-selection screen and do not see the MacOSX choice, sorry, you really did destroy your MacOS partition. On the other hand, if it is listed, phew, just select it.

Once you have both MacOSX and Windows installed, switching between them is fairly easy. You can use the reboot-with-the-Alt-key method, this is a temporary choice, at the next reboot (without the Alt key) it will boot into the currently selected boot partition. The selected boot partition is managed by System Preferences : Startup Disk in MacOSX, and when in Windows (after installing the Apple driver package) you should find a boot camp control panel, there's usually a boot camp system tray icon too, you can right-click this and choose boot in MacOSX.

To re-install, make sure you have the MacOSX install media (DVD) in your drive, then reboot and either hold down the C key (this tells the firmware to boot from the CD/DVD drive), or reboot and hold down the Alt key to get to the boot selector, choose the install CD/DVD...

During install watch for any choices that say the disk will be repartitioned, you don't want to do this otherwise you will overwrite your Windows partition... (I haven't been through this particular sequence before, so I'm unsure if MacOSX will install without destroying the bootcamp partition)....

7. rthpjm, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

rthpjm macrumors 6502

rthpjm

Are you using a wireless keyboard? I've recently had an issue with a new iMac that wouldn't see the wireless keyboard during the boot sequence. Eventually I found an Apple knowledge base article that said a PMU/MMU reset might help, disconnect everything including the mains power, press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, reconnect everything, reboot with the Alt key held down....

Apple specifically say the keys have to be held down during the start up chime or immediately afterwards. If you hold the keys down before that they may not be recognised...
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3273

Sharing a wireless keyboard between Windows and MacOSX can be a bit frustrating. Make sure you've followed my advice about installing the Apple drivers in Windows, pairing in Windows will often make the Mac forget its pairing in MacOSX, so the next time you go to MacOSX you have to pair it again. It should be okay after that, but it also sort of explains why you might not be able to use the Alt key at boot time, http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3119 (in which case make sure the Apple drivers are installed and use the Boot Camp control panel and/or system tray icon to reboot into MacOSX)