Stuck in XP Setup

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jeppadee, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Jeppadee macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I wanted to install windows on my mac to be able to play windows based games, but it turned out to be the biggest mistake iwe made in a while. At first the setup installed as supposed, but then it rebooted and took me to the setup again. I tried to install again, it installed, rebooted and took me back to the blue XP setup screen again. Same thing happens when i try to quit the setup, repair the installation and everything else. My mac is now stuck, i cant even get the Windows installer CD out. At this point i just want to exit the windows installer and get my OS back, i dont want to continue installing, can someone help me please? Im getting rather desperate.

2. Jeppadee thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the CD out by spamming the CD-out key thing

Now all it does is show a blinking map on a white background, with a question sign inside of it. Im afraid windows overwrote macOS, to be honest im boiling right now because im terrified all my schoolwork, files, photo and everything is gone if i try to reinstall macOS. Does anyone know what to do? :(

3. Damo01 macrumors regular

Firstly...Did you use bootcamp Assistant to create a separate Partition?
    secondly...Did you make a backup of your Mac OS?

If you haven't make a backup, then you are at risk of losing data for the mistakes you have made during the Windows installation, especially if you accidentally wipe out your Mac OS partition, which you would lost everything.

You might holding down the alt key during startup to see whether you boot into your Mac OS startup disk, otherwise you have to reinstall Mac OS X.

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

When you get into the XP setup area, make sure you format the drive correctly also. I got stuck on this if i didn't recreate the partition / format it would not boot