Stuck Itouch, please help (some other questions too)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by bbbrian, Aug 6, 2008.

1. bbbrian macrumors newbie

First of all I would like to ask what it means if my iTouch was on 1.1.2 (3B4Ba) or something. I forget what was exactly in the parenthesis behind the "1.1.2" but it was generally something like that. I have looked on forums and everywhere I could think of as to what this means (I don't know because I bought it used) and some places showed a "jailbroken" Itouch and thats all the picture showed which was the 1.1.2 (3B....). The guy I bought it from said he never messed with firmwares or hacks or anything like that so that is why I am confused as to what it means.

Secondly I downloaded Ziphone (3.0) and attempted to jailbreak the Itouch thinking that it would do no harm if I tried to jailbreak a jailbroken player. Since Ziphone said it would only do Itouches that were on 1.1.4, I proceeded to find the firmware file online and downloaded it. I followed the instructions that appear when you hover the mouse over the "Prepare to Upgrade" and followed those, but thats when I made the seemingly fatal mistake of NOT putting the player in DFU mode before going into Itunes and pressing "shift-restore" and choosing the 1.1.4 firmware file. After I pressed restore with the 1.1.4 file, the player changed into the screen with a picture of the dock connector pointed at the Itunes icon. The computer had a small window pop up with it saying "Preparing ipod for restore" Now I am stuck on that screen with nothing happening. I have tried to use iLiberty+ to kick it out of recovery mode but iLiberty+ just freezes up after I click anything. I read on another forum of a use with a similar problem of being stuck and he just pressed "jailbreak" on Iliberty+ and then itunes worked and everythign worked out, but i followed what he did, and after i pressed "jailbreak" the background of the player changed to blue, but the dock connector pointing to the itunes icon was still there. I have tried everything i could think of but sadly to no avail. After a while the background on the player turned back to black but I am still stuck at the same screen.
    Please note I have tried all the different timing things for resetting the player including holding both buttons and stuff.

Sorry for the long post but I figured being descriptive would help.
    ANY help, comments, thoughts, would be MUCH appreciated. THANKS

2. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

first off, you're probably going to get crap for calling it an "itouch". . so with that said, don't lambaste the n00b. (for future reference, it's an ipod touch ;))
    second, 1.1.2 is just where you didn't have the jan. updates (being mail and some other things).

but my advice would be to plug it back in and restore it to factory settings via itunes. does it recognize it? . . but i thought i broke my ipod when i tried to jailbreak it. . it just took a while with ziphone. after the black screen with all the text ran it's course, i unplugged it, and plugged it back in, and it worked. . so maybe you just jumped the gun on all of this?

best of luck, man.

3. bbbrian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips and the fast reply, but the problem is its stuck on what people call the "recovery mode" screen and when i plug it into Itunes itll say it has detected an IPOD TOUCH :) and then itll tell me i need to restore it, and if i click restore (either restore with 1.1.4 OR letting it connect to apple servers to download the newer one) itll just endlessly say "preparing ipod for restore"

It really seems to be an endless cycle for my IPOD TOUCH
    Thanks though!

4. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

oh, i see what you did there. . with the all-caps version of ipod touch. heh, clever.

but how long are you leaving it plugged in to itunes? a few minutes? . . 'cause my guess is you need to be patient with it. .

http://guides.macrumors.com/Restore_the_iPod_Touch

try that . . if you haven't already. :)

5. bbbrian thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried and tried but it doesnt work, but it seems nobody has ever truly "bricked" and ipod touch, so maybe there is hope haha

6. bbbrian thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything Is Ok

Whew! For those who may have similar problems: If you have the same problem as me, and you have also tried all the identical instructions about holding the buttons and stuff...try restoring from another computer. worked for me, hopefully it will work for you!