Stuck Key on BRAND NEW Macbook Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by msb65, Mar 7, 2009.

1. msb65 macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I bought a new white MB yesterday. Even as I began entering my information to set up the machine I noticed that the "I" key is not as sensitive as the others, ie. as I was typing i's were not showing up. I can press it multiple times and nothing will show up. The key is not broken, as if I press it hard enough it will type. However, even with limited use this has become quite annoying.

I guess I could learn to just press that key harder, but I worry that this is actually indicative of something wrong with the key which will eventually break and lead to me spending more time and money. Also I feel that the keyboard should work perfectly since it is a new machine. I paid $1000 and shouldn't have to learn to deal with this.

So I am asking for your advise. First of all am I being a little b%$? I know it is just one key. I would like to exchange the machine. Think I have any chance in doing this? Any advice in what I should say to the store manager when I attempt to do this?

Thanks!

Mike

2. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

They won't exchange the machine. You'll get a new topcase.

3. msb65 thread starter macrumors member

Hey Raj,

So what does that entail? Will I have to send it to Apple? I can't believe it because I bought the thing yesterday!

Maybe I'll just return it and buy a new one.

4. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

your machine is DOA - Dead on Arrival. The key is malfunctioning, you will get a new one since it's new. You have 15 days to return to get a remplacement or they will repair it.

5. msb65 thread starter macrumors member

Cool. Should I be dealing with the campus store where I bought the computer or Apple?

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Apple.

By the way how much did you get it for on campus? CSUS sells them for $899 and I'll probably be getting one in the fall.

7. squaros macrumors member

I had a stuck key on a MBP last year. I called Apple and they replaced the first system with an identical system. The new one had a bad screen so I called again and they replaced it with a faster model. Apple was easy to deal with and the turnaround time was only about 5 days.