Stuck needing new Mac soon

childoftheko4n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
228
48
Hey All,

Been lurking around here for a bit following any rumor for updated 27 5k. I currently have 2012 rMBP that is now starting to show signs of instability with frequent GPU panics =-( I was looking to possibly switch to a 5K iMac when skylake model releases whenever that may be for photography.

However now with my MBP not being the most reliable unfortunately, and needing my computer for business (its Wedding Season! uh oh!) i am kind of stuck. I almost have to go ahead and order something. I see the BTO 5k are looking at 10/20-10/25 delivery dates.

If for some surprise at this point, a 5k refresh is announced next week with the 21.5 4k, what is the return policy on opened Mac's?

Also am i pissing away $2500 on 5k iMac at this piont in the cycle =( arg
 

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
1,760
38
Folsom, CA
Hey All,

Been lurking around here for a bit following any rumor for updated 27 5k. I currently have 2012 rMBP that is now starting to show signs of instability with frequent GPU panics =-( I was looking to possibly switch to a 5K iMac when skylake model releases whenever that may be for photography.

However now with my MBP not being the most reliable unfortunately, and needing my computer for business (its Wedding Season! uh oh!) i am kind of stuck. I almost have to go ahead and order something. I see the BTO 5k are looking at 10/20-10/25 delivery dates.

If for some surprise at this point, a 5k refresh is announced next week with the 21.5 4k, what is the return policy on opened Mac's?

Also am i pissing away $2500 on 5k iMac at this piont in the cycle =( arg
If purchase directly from Apple, they have a 14 day no questions asked return policy.
 

childoftheko4n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
228
48
14 days from order date, ship date, or delivery date though? o_O

with it being backed up until 20-25th ish. Could be awhile

EDIT: nvm its 14 days from delivery
 
Last edited:

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
672
494
I'm in somewhat the same boat. 2012 27 iMac that I want to upgrade, as I tend to do every 2.5yrs. I usually sell my old mac, still under 6mos of Applecare, for about 50% of what I paid for it, and buy a new one. It's now that time. But I don't really see any huge reason to upgrade, other than the vastly improved display... well, that may be enough?

But I'd hate to see a much better processor or GPU come out, right after I buy. Also, any rumors of a drive bump? Would love to see a bigger & faster Fusion drive.
 

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
2,760
80
Winnipeg, MB
If you look at the store pickup options for the regular stock 5k models, there are quite a few stores that only have Ship to Store available. I ordered a BTO last week, and my estimated delivery date is 10/19.

I'm hoping that long wait means that a refresh is coming, and they're holding my order for the refresh :). If that's not the case though, I'll return my order and order a new model.
 

childoftheko4n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
228
48
If you look at the store pickup options for the regular stock 5k models, there are quite a few stores that only have Ship to Store available. I ordered a BTO last week, and my estimated delivery date is 10/19.

I'm hoping that long wait means that a refresh is coming, and they're holding my order for the refresh :). If that's not the case though, I'll return my order and order a new model.
would they typically delay BTO for say 27" models, if they are only refreshing the 21.5? I imagine while some would still cancel the 27 and opt for a new 4k 21.5, i cant seem to remember any past reference.

If your rMBP is a mid 2012 15", it'll be covered by the GPU replacement program: https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
yeah. to be honest from everything ive been reading, sometimes this seems to be a solid repair but a lot of time the symptoms come back =/ Im going to get it repaired regardless i suppose.
 

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
768
245
UK
Really depends on what you mean by 'almost need' - if your current machine died today, would it affect your business? If you're going to lose money/reputation/business because you don't have a reliable machine, then I would say that outweighs any concerns about new models. If you have your business computing equipment on a three year write-down, then I would say that it's extremely unlikely that you're going to outgrow the current iMac.
 

childoftheko4n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
228
48
Really depends on what you mean by 'almost need' - if your current machine died today, would it affect your business? If you're going to lose money/reputation/business because you don't have a reliable machine, then I would say that outweighs any concerns about new models. If you have your business computing equipment on a three year write-down, then I would say that it's extremely unlikely that you're going to outgrow the current iMac.
Yeah, almost need as in

A - I can go drop off my macbook now and get the GPU replaced as part of the program. But be out of a machine for a week, and then not be so sure on the stability moving forward from what i have read.

B - Order new machine (i did), its backed up for about 2 weeks. So keep using mine around the panics to get work done. When new machine comes in, take my old one in for repairs.

I need as in i cant be out of a mac and be w/o a computer for any given time period. Shooting every couple days and weddings each weekend, i cant let that backlog stock pile.
 

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
2,381
1,472
Netherlands
Step 1; backup. If it's business.
Step 2; fresh install, use it for business, and back up the new stuff.

Step 3; I'd wait for it to break down, just walking into apple store and picking up a 27" 5k iMac is possible, and you can leave the broken device behind for repair (they will check what's wrong and you wont pay until you give the green light, if you dont, you still dont pay and you get your device back)
 

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
768
245
UK
I think if you can get to an Apple store and buy one as Floris suggests, then that's the best course of action. Bear in mind that announcement does not necessarily equal immediate availability.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.