Stuck on 10.6 SL on MacBook Pro Core "Duo" - Vulnerable?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ewhite, Aug 27, 2011.

1. ewhite macrumors member

Hi all,

Since I have a 2006 MacBook Pro with the "Core Duo" and not "Core 2 Duo" CPU, am I going to have issues where I am more vulnerable to the latest zero day threats or other security issues since I am no longer running the latest OS from Apple? Or will I be just fine and Apple will release security updates for 10.6 as well?

I'm not interested in one of the many hacks here or on other forums to install Lion on an external drive and edit the plist file to get Lion to run for reference.

Thanks -

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

SL is currently supported for security updates.

I've just noticed that Leopard is no longer supported for security updates (as of Lion's release), so I believe you're good for security patches until 10.8.

3. ewhite thread starter macrumors member

Thanks AdrianK - I took a look around the Apple Support forums and do not see a link to this type of info, can you please clarify where you saw this?

4. Lokheed macrumors regular

Apple has never traditionally announced dropping support for specific software, but if you go by history of updates, they tend to drop OSes two generations old, and provide security updates for the past generation.

You can call them, but you won't find an official statement on the net to that effect.

5. ewhite thread starter macrumors member

6. Lokheed macrumors regular

NP dude. Apple is a very progressive company! It's a large reason why they are able to provide such amazing products and services—they don't have to support 10 year old OSes (like their competitors), restricting their resources and the ability to deliver new, bleeding edge software/hardware.

It also means that some people get rubbed the wrong way ;)