Stuck on Apple logo screen. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The iKid, Jul 21, 2008.

1. The iKid macrumors member

So, the other night my macbook froze so I held down the button to shut it off. Then when I tried to turn it on I am stuck at the apple logo screen. It stays on that forever. I left it for over an hour and it was still like that so I shut it off removed the battery and left it like that overnight. In the morning it was still the same! Is this related to my hard drive? Also, I had a disc stuck so I thought it was that but I got it removed so now it's still stuck on the screen when I turn it on. Please help me! I'm a little nervous!

Thanks so much in advance!

2. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

put in the disk that came with your mac and hold in c while it boots then run a disk check with disk utility, or conversely try DiskWarrior 4, it has saved me on many occasions.

3. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

I don't have diskwarrior on that macbook. And I'm on vacation away from home without the disk. Any ideas to what has caused this?

4. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

sometimes it can just be bunk permissions or a file system error, do you have access to another mac?

5. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

I am currently on another macbook. Why?

6. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

ok, you need a firewire cable.

turn the broken one off and turn the good one on.
    plug them in.
    turn on the broken one while holding in t.
    youll see a battery meter and a firewire symbol if it worked correctly, this is called target disk mode.
    now the hard drive will show up as a mounted imaged on the non-broken one.
    push command-space and type in disk util.
    hit enter.
    run repair permissions etc on the broken hard disk.
    dismount repaired hard drive and turn off the machine.
    reboot and hope it works, other wise get a 'demo' of disk warrior

7. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I don't have a firewire cable now. Would that be similar to connecting an external hard drive? Just out of curiosity? Also, I think I may just contact applecare tomorrow. One final question, is it definitely a hard drive problem?

8. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

yeah just sounds like a boot file problem, go buy a firewire cable from best buy or something and then return it when youre done and say it didnt work for you. target disk mode attaches the computer like an external harddrive

9. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for your help. I'll work on it.

10. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

So I called apple care and they said it could be an OS problem and that i should try reinstalling but I'm on vacation without the disc. So i'm going to bring it into the apple store when I get home.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Try verbose mode, that will at least give you some help in finding out what is wrong. Then you might be able to fix it with single user mode.

12. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

How can I get to verbose mode?

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Hold Command V on bootup.

14. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

What exactly does verbose mode do?

15. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

A live text display of what its doing. So essentially a log file as it progresses.

16. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

cool, i didnt know that existed, the verbose model

17. WilyReilly macrumors newbie

Thank you!

I told myself that if this worked I would register so I could leave a post to personally thank those that gave the suggestions in this thread. My Mac Mini crashed at the end of an OS update and was stuck on the grey screen. I tried Disk Warrior but still couldn't get the Mini to boot and the Mac OS X install disc was missing!!!
    Using your suggestions I plugged the Mini into my G4 tower on the Firewire cable to get the disk to show on my G4. I used the disk utility and everything came back fine. Then I downloaded the OS update again from the Apple website and reinstalled it on the Mini HD while it was connected. It is running beautifully and I couldn't have done it without your help. You have saved me from having to purchase another install disc and endless hours of aggravation. So once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge with those less technically versed such as I.
    Thanks!

18. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

19. themacwizard100 macrumors newbie

the force check disk for mac

ikid i had the same problem but when i booted into chameleon i chose startup options then i went into force check mode( -f) it booted after being stuck on chameleon for a minute and the pinwheel came and it booted up so i was satisfied with my self:apple::)