Stuck on apple logo white screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SchneiderMan, Jun 2, 2009.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Hey im trying so hard for 2 full days to get osx on my hp dv6000, i booted up my dvd but i got stuck on the grey apple logo white screen. it will not do anything. can someone help me with this please?
    im using the iATKOS v1.0 ir2 dvd
    My specs are:
    Amd turion 64x2 1.9
    Nvidia 7200go
    2gb

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

ok, it's been a while since i've been into the hackinosh thing and you will probably get better support at hackint0sh.org or insanelymac but here goes.

start but pressing the F8 key as the system is booting past your bios screen and you should be able to type -v this will present the startup in verbose mode and we can see what the issue is. i'm guessing it'll be 'waiting for root device', we can talk about this when it's confirmed.

start with this and report back and i'll try to help.

3. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

thanks, i dont get "waiting for root device"

this is what i get and it hangs on this.

Attached Files:

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i just reread your original post and realised you are booting off the dvd. so what is happening is that it's not liking your dvd drive.

the best thing to do is boot off a usb disk, either a thumb drive or a larger external harddrive will do.

also, i did a quick search and while people do have problems, they seem to sort them out ok. though iatkos does not seem to be the preffered distribution these days for AMD, leo4all seems to have better success.

specifically which dv6000 model do you have? you should be able to look on the bottom of your computer. something like dv6123a, etc...

check these links for more info:
    link 1
    link 2
    link 3
    link 4

5. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i tried to put the iso on my external harddrive but it will not boot. i tried ipc distro and i get the same white screen

edit:
    i got to the install menu, went it clicked install and then it rebooted to the white screen with a circle and a cross in it. why is that?

6. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

why wouldn't it boot? can you normally boot from usb drives? check your bios.

and the white screen is not very informative, what does the verbose boot show?

finally, you can try booting in safe made. after pressing f8 to get to the boot prompt, add -x and it will boot in safe mode. some people have good luck with this.

i think it's likely that you need an install that has the nforce kext. try leo3all. if you tell me exactly which dv6000 you have i can check what you need...

7. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i get a root device error when i use -v
    i have a dv6400 cto
    model RX950AV

8. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I get a "waiting for root device" when using -V
    thanks for your help

9. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

right, so it is your sata controller causing problems.

the easiest is to install off of usb and onto usb.
    alternatively, there seems to be a kext that may work, someone mentioned it is included with the leo4all iso.

but this is where you can get around the problem by using usb.

10. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

are you sure? maybe i didnt pick my chipset driver right? i dont know it anyway lol where can i find the name? thanks for helping.
    im downloading leo4all4.1 and that my last hope. i cant seem to boot from a usb drive or a usb stick.