Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cavara34

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
I use Snow Leopard.

Recently I used Terminal to delete some swap files for space. I got a Terminal message saying swapfiles were low. I rebooted successfully.

I then also deleted saveimages(?) through Terminal after which a few jpgs wouldn't open. A few gigs had been freed up. I also stupidly deleted one folder I couldn't ID which contained some files which said I didn't have permission to open but didn't ask for a password either.

Now I can't move past the blue screen and Apple icon, even with safe mode. I tried one single user mode suggestion which failed. I started to boot from the CD but panicked when I realized I don't know if this will erase the hard drive (if it's not yet). I've never booted from CD and don't know if or how to fix it that way.

I think I've made some terrible mistake. Help would be hugely appreciated.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I use Snow Leopard.

Recently I used Terminal to delete some swap files for space. I got a Terminal message saying swapfiles were low. I rebooted successfully.

I then also deleted saveimages(?) through Terminal after which a few jpgs wouldn't open. A few gigs had been freed up. I also stupidly deleted one folder I couldn't ID which contained some files which said I didn't have permission to open but didn't ask for a password either.

Now I can't move past the blue screen and Apple icon, even with safe mode. I tried one single user mode suggestion which failed. I started to boot from the CD but panicked when I realized I don't know if this will erase the hard drive (if it's not yet). I've never booted from CD and don't know if or how to fix it that way.

I think I've made some terrible mistake. Help would be hugely appreciated.

Boot from a CD and just reinstall the OS. It won't erase your files.

You learn a lesson? Why are you erasing swap files if you don't even know how to boot from a CD (much rather what that does?). Don't worry about that stuff.

Reactions: Cavara34

Cavara34

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Thank you for replying. How can I be sure to not format the drive when I reinstall? Isn't that one of the purposes?

Does erasing swap files cause this? Will reinstalling fix it, do you know? Is there a disk repair option on install I should use to fix it? I just don't want to lose or damage anything further. I appreciate the help.

(I thought it would save space and the sources of the info seemed trustworthy. Obviously I did something wrong.)

Last edited:

Cavara34

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
I don't mean to be impatient but can anyone still out there tell me how exactly to try to fix this with the OS CD install without losing anything? :( I'm just looking at the first prompt and am nervous about proceeding because I've never rebooted that way before. I have a terrible feeling the drive might already be wiped.

I used the "repair permissions" and it listed several called "SUID" that it said wouldn't be repaired. I'm afraid these are the ones I deleted. Disk utility then verified that the drive is "okay" and shows the files still there but it still won't reboot and I don't know if going though with the OS installation will fix it somehow or do more harm.

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
1. You have a backup, of course, so even if something goes wrong in the installation, you can restore your data from there. If you don't have a backup, then you can expect to lose your files at some point in the future.
2. Random error message in Repair Permissions are to be expected.
3. Don't mess with the sleepimage. The benefits are minimal, the disadvantages, as you have found, many.
4. A simple reboot (restart) of your computer will clear any swap files, temp files and anything else.
5. Don't delete stuff if you don't know what it's for.
6. To reinstall the OS, just insert the disk and follow the instructions. Default installation will replace the OS and leave your files intact.

Reactions: Cavara34

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
OP I already told you you won't lose anything. Just reinstall, that's it. It just rebuilds the necessary files for the OS.

You won't lose anything. It might fix it, it should fix it, but there's always a chance it won't.

Cavara34

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Sorry, I was just very nervous about proceeding. I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.