Stuck on boot screen after upgrading

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bigmike7801, Nov 26, 2010.

1. bigmike7801 macrumors newbie

I upgraded my 3gs to IOS 4.2.1 then did the Redsn0w jailbreak using 0.9.6b4. I was able to jailbreak it just fine, I then followed the jailbreaking instructions again so I could get cydia to work.

After getting cydia to work, I opened cydia and installed winterboard. Winterboard said it required a reboot so then I rebooted and now my phone is in a constant looping reboot.

iTunes doesn't recognize that a device is plugged in so I can't do a restore.

I tried to hold down the power and home button and that doesn't work. I've tried plugging it in and unplugging and that doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas? I'm afraid I may have just bricked my phone :(

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

4.2.1 is a tethered jailbreak. So you need to run Redsn0w again every time your iPhone reboots or the battery dies.

3. bigmike7801 thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize this, however it has specific instructions to make sure your phone is off while doing the tethered Jailbreak and I am unable to even turn my phone off. It only does a constant reboot.

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Same thing happened to me when I jb my iPad. I used the Home and Power buttons to get into restore mode then did a Restore.

If you only install a few programs from Cydia, a tethered jb isn't too bad. However, if you like to try new programs, there's no way I'd use a tethered jb. Even upgrading some Cydia programs could cause a reboot, then you're stuck if you're away from a computer.

5. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

not sure it this will work, but have you tried with iphonebrowser? (Windows only)