Stuck on charge screen. Software or hardware?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by eleven7, Mar 10, 2012.

1. eleven7 macrumors regular

I recently ordered a complete 3GS back cover assembly to replace old one that had the bejesus beaten and scratched out of it.

Swapped the board and the screen over, plugged it into the wall charger and got the empty battery screen (battery icon, with the red line). I thought would was normal considering it was a new battery so left it overnight to charge but woke up in the morning to find it was still stuck in the same state. Googled the problem, searched this board and tried a list of solutions (hard resets, holding the home button down when plugging it in etc) but still had no luck.

I was able to get it into DFU mode so I decided to do a restore to ios 4.0. At this point, the screen booted up, showed apple logo and the restore status bar, the restore process completed all the way to when iTunes says the phone will now reboot. It got to that point and it just went straight back to the charging screen again??

I then tried the "Fix Recovery" option on Tinyumbrella just to see if it would cause any response, which it did - the screen came to life, whole lot of command line scripts ran and then when it completed it just went straight back to the charging screen again.

Anyone else had any experience with this problem? Is it likely to be a bad battery or a software related issue?

P.S. - I would just swap all the parts including the battery over from the old assembly to the new back cover but I've already used those parts in another 3GS which I've already sold.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

TinyUmbrella's Fix Recovery only works on the iPhone 4. For other iDevices, use Exit Recovery.

You got a bad battery or you didn't reconnect it when putting the phone back together.

3. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers, yeah I can only get it to go into DFU so the only option was fix recovery, thought I'd try it just to see if I could get some response out of the phone as I was sick of looking at that empty battery screen for the 5 hours I was trying to fix the problem :)

I was starting to think it was just a bad battery, but when the restore process was successful (well the apple logo/status bar appeared) I thought it might be software related.

I have opened the phone up a couple of times to check everything was seated correctly which it appears to be so you're probably right. Will order a new battery and see how it goes. Fingers crossed.