Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thepixelsedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Toronto, Canada
hi guys, as the title says I'm stuck. I've already reset the pram, and booted into safe mode twice.

First time I ran first aid on the startup drive (all good) then removed all my startup items.

No go... Still gray screen

Second safe boot I update all apps that required and discover that little snitch says its installation is broken and needs to update. Did that, reboot, same gray screen.

Anyone got any suggestions for what's next?

akwarner

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
Anyone got any suggestions for what's next?

Ran into the same issue. Restored to image of Yosemite and did the install a second time. All seemed to be well. Did some updates and such. Then ran Mac Malware bytes and it found something called AMCDaemon and said I should remove it. I did and is my custom I restarted the machine (if any malware is found). Ran into the grey screen again and could not get the system to start. Restored to Yosemite again and here I sit for now. I ran all the public betas and my "test" partition is now on 10.11.1. I never had any issues like this. Quite weird. I guess I'll try again tomorrow after work.

A.

Thepixelsedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I tried reinstalling OS X from recovery mode and after An hour it booted up. Then shortly after that I rebooted to make sure everything was good and now I'm stuck on the gray startup screen again... FML!!

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Are you stuck in Setup Assistant? That's the grey screen you must be talking about. When I first upgraded to beta 1 I had that problem and Safe Mode completed the Setup Assistant.

utente__mac

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2015
Similar issue here. Did the upgrade and now my Mac Mini shuts down near the end of the boot progress bar. Never reached the configuration wizard.
Managed to boot in recovery mode and tried detecting issues with the fusion drive, finding none.
I'll try to reinstall El Capitan from there.

Thepixelsedge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I tried everything I could come across online. Safe mode didn't fix anything. Neither did resetting Pram or disconnecting all peripherals. Emptying all items from startup and uninstalling little snitch still didn't fix it.

I ended up wiping the hard drive clean and installing a fresh copy of El Capitan and now all seems well again. Good thing for backups!!!

I was overdue to clean out this system anyways... Lots of crud accrued over the last couple years/OS upgrades. I'm happy to say it now runs WAY better than before but I dunno if that's attributable to 10.11 or just a squeaky clean HD... Maybe a bit of both, but either way I can now get back to work so I'm happy.

ZivaD

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I got stuck on a grey screen but I went and played GTA V for a bit and left it, got there eventually.

akwarner

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
Well I tried the upgrade again. Seemed to go fine. Played around in it for a bit. Then I rebooted. Stuck on grey screen and won't finished reloading OS. Waited about 10 minutes and gave up. Restored to Yosemite again and came here looking to see if there is some sort of definitive answer.

Looks like some old crud may be mucking things up. I also updated to 10.11.1 beta 2 today on my separate beta partition and as has been my experience, it had no issues. Might be time for the big re-install I have been putting off for years. Parts of this system go back to Tiger. It has just been upgraded by installation over the existing system each time a new OS came out. Might be time to bite the bullet and do a from scratch install. Not looking forward to setting back up all the software and tweaks and such that I use. Oh well.

A.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I updated three machines, The 2012 mini (running server) and 2013 rMBP went fine. My 2010 MBP will update fine but once you reboot it will get stuck on the gray screen boot screen. I tried to reinstall on top of the existing OS and same thing. Updated OK but once you reboot it is a no go. Did a clean install and worked OK. Then I used migration assistant and now I am back to the same problem.

akwarner

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
I updated three machines, The 2012 mini (running server) and 2013 rMBP went fine. My 2010 MBP will update fine but once you reboot it will get stuck on the gray screen boot screen. I tried to reinstall on top of the existing OS and same thing. Updated OK but once you reboot it is a no go. Did a clean install and worked OK. Then I used migration assistant and now I am back to the same problem.

Yep. I am guessing that something left over from either an older OS or an application is causing the issue. My "solution" is going to be a complete rebuild from a clean OS install and re-installing all my apps. Not looking forward to it but that seems like it will "solve" the problem. Of course if I wait, I figure Apple will resolve it as well. The question being how long it will take them to identify it and then issue a fix.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.