Stuck on grey Apple screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by themightyspitz, Mar 22, 2008.

1. themightyspitz macrumors regular

themightyspitz

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this...

My dad has a 20" PPC Mac desktop with 512MB RAM. Today we wanted to do some work on iDVD, and when we started it up, I saw that there were a number of updates we didn't do for a while, 14 total. So I update them....took a long time, but eventually I get to restart the comp and it starts installing. It stalls at about 15% for roughly 30 mins; I wanted to leave it, but a power outage hit and the thing went black. Now when I try to turn it back on, it gets stuck on the grey Apple screen and won't start up. I looked around and tried restarting in Safe Mode by holding shift, but nothing. Anyone have any advice?

2. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

How long is it getting stuck for? Sometimes after updates it does more configuration after the boot so it will stick at the gray screen for longer than usual.

3. themightyspitz thread starter macrumors regular

themightyspitz

I left it on for at least half an hour. Usually it stays on the gray screen for about 30 seconds or so before booting up.

4. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

Anything happen when you hold down the option key at boot? can you see the drive there?

5. themightyspitz thread starter macrumors regular

themightyspitz

Tried that, too, no drive popped up. It just went to the Apple and spinning dial.

6. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

Wish I could be more help but I don't have a lot of experience troubleshooting macs.

7. themightyspitz thread starter macrumors regular

themightyspitz

No worries...I tried holding down the alt-option key the whole time instead of after the sound, and now I see the disk. Still not starting up, but at least it's responding, kinda.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Especially given the power outage, I'd strongly suspect disk damage. Do you know how to run Disk Utility from the reinstall discs, or fsck in Single User Mode? This is absolutely what I would do next.