Stuck on grey screen after software update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheRef, Oct 16, 2009.

1. TheRef macrumors newbie

My iMac ran a software update last night, but the program kicked out before it completed. When I went to reboot this morning, I had the Mac icon on a grey screen, with a little line rolling around in a circle below it. It's been hung up there all day. I've read in other posts that I should do a clean install of the system software. Problem is, my hard drive is absolutely packed and the computer is telling me that I don't have enough space to do even a baisc installation without all the bells and whistles. Because the machine won't boot, I can't get into the drive to transfer or delete any files in order to create the necessary space for the installation. Any suggestions?

2. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

my dad had this problem on his mbp
    it started out as this and then a week later it started flashing a folder thing
    it turned out that he had corrupted files on his harddrive
    you can try using disk warrior but it didn't work for us
    I had connect my macbook to it with a firewire cable
    and start up while holding 't' to go into target disk mode
    then I ended spending several hours going through all his files and transferring them to an external hd
    it ended up that he only had a couple corrupted files
    then I used the boot disc to open disk utility and wipe the hd clean and reformat it
    then reinstalled os x and copied the files back over
    the bad thing about corrupted files is os x cant handle them, you cant copy them or delete them

IT SUCKS