Stuck on grey screen w/rainbow ball when trying to shut down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macabi1, Jun 18, 2015.

1. macabi1 macrumors newbie

Hello lovely people,
    I hope you can help me. I tried to search the forums but did not find an answer.

I have a MacBookPro that went into the store for service a few months ago. They replaced the logic board twice and encouraged me to buy a new computer as they were not sure if their replacement would last forever or if my computer would have another problem. :( I didn't have the money to buy a new computer so I thought I'd see if my computer could make it for awhile longer.

Fast forward to now and i'm having problems connecting to the internet (when the other home computers (all Macs) have no problem with it) and the settings application keeps crashing and states "application not working" so I decide to shut down my computer and then, restart it.

My computer appears to let me try to shut down the computer. I turned away from my computer for a few minutes and when I looked back at it, there is a light grey screen and a rotating rainbow ball that moves with my trackpad. I have left it that was for a few hours but it doesn't appear to be changing in any way, shape or form. I feel lucky that I began backing up my computer a few days ago when I first noticed these problems.

What should I do?
    I will take it into the genius bar if I have to but thought that I would check in with y'all first.

Thank you in advance for your help,
    A

Attached Files:

2. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Which Macbook Pro do you have? I would let it sit and let the computer's battery die overnight. Then try to reboot and see what happens

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

What model MBP, on what version of OS X. Without those two important bits of information the rest of your post is not very useful to anyone trying to help.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It sounds like the logic board is failing again due to all of the different, separate issues you are having all at the same time.

There isn't much you can do apart from having it serviced again or trying to replace the board yourself if you are out of warranty and can't pay for a repair.

5. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Press and hold power button to force a shutdown. Boot in safe mode, which is press/release power while holding shift key. That disables startup items that may be conflicting.